Uses of forest moss

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sapper326

Jun 15, 2009
Newmarket, Suffolk
Whist out walking the hound last week i noticed a couple of guys collecting a huge amount of moss from the ground.
What uses are there for the moss, i had thought reptile tanks have something along those lines?
And no i'm not going to set up a moss selling business :Djust curious of what people use from the forest.

Thanks

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Hmm.....probably not good that they were taking large amounts but I know sphagnum moss has several uses, excellent for cleaning your pots and pans with a few ashes added from the fire as an abrasive, works great as a sponge and because it has small amounts of iodine in is also is mildly antisceptic. Can also be used to filter water and can be used as a wound dressing, I believe it was used extensively for this purpose during when alternatives were unavailable.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Moss is collected as lining material for hanging baskets. There is quite a market in it, and very little regulation. On the moors near me huge swathes of moss have been ripped up, and the excess bags just left lying amongst the heather.

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
If the amounts being taken were really large, then I would suspect that this was being stolen for commercial purposes, as Spagnum moss is in great demand in Garden centres, for adding a base to hanging floral baskets, and for binding into Floral Wreaths, It retains moisture and keeps the flowers from drying out and dying too quickly. I suppose that the Garden Centres do not ask too many questions as to where it is sourced, as long as they get a profit. In my area the Police, Forestry, and Wildlife Rangers are on to this, and are stamping it out.

sapper326

Jun 15, 2009
Newmarket, Suffolk
Thank you to all the above responses. I guess these guys aren't steaming food or making homemade tampax. They were in an area that would require some sort of gate access. I walked through the area yesterday and to be honest if i hadn't seen them doing this you wouldn't notice any damage ect. Maybe they have permission to take a certain amount?
Going back to my original post i may start collecting it! £16 for 2kg! thats a lot of cash from the forest floor!

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
If the amounts being taken were really large, then I would suspect that this was being stolen for commercial purposes, as Spagnum moss is in great demand in Garden centres, for adding a base to hanging floral baskets, and for binding into Floral Wreaths, It retains moisture and keeps the flowers from drying out and dying too quickly. I suppose that the Garden Centres do not ask too many questions as to where it is sourced, as long as they get a profit. In my area the Police, Forestry, and Wildlife Rangers are on to this, and are stamping it out.

I'd run with that possibility too - bad!

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Thank you to all the above responses. I guess these guys aren't steaming food or making homemade tampax. They were in an area that would require some sort of gate access. I walked through the area yesterday and to be honest if i hadn't seen them doing this you wouldn't notice any damage ect. Maybe they have permission to take a certain amount?
Going back to my original post i may start collecting it! £16 for 2kg! thats a lot of cash from the forest floor!

Is it worth reporting it?

sapper326

Jun 15, 2009
Newmarket, Suffolk
I'll keep an eye on it. They were quite un phased that we we looking at them. Maybe I'll speak to the Forestry Commision and see if people have permission to do this kind of thing?

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
It is, or at least was pretty common to dig fresh fish and/or meat down in the moss. Specially when out on long fishing hikes n the mountains, were no coolers are available. Fresh fish will stay cool and fresh for several days, and maybe up to a week if the temperature does not get to high.

Hi all, new to this forum and having a wee rumage about the topics. Would echo the use of moss for cleaning pots as I use to clean the soot off my pots after cooking. Very efficient method. Apparantly native Americans used it to line nappies for their babies. Papoose pampers if you like.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE