Uses for the Dock plant?

Jacko

Life Member
Aug 3, 2004
SHROPSHIRE
Seeing this all over the place and don't know much what to do with it apart from rubbing it (the juice) on nettle stings. Any other known uses folks? Thanks in advance!!

_Matt_

Aug 29, 2010
Staffordshire
http://server9.web-mania.com/users/pfafardea/ - I recommend using this site, it has every specie you will ever be looking for within the UK; lists all known possible uses of any given plant. Whenever possible i enter every new plant in there that i see just to see if it's edible (once I've found out what the name is from a book that documents wild plant species within the UK). I often forget which docks are which though as there are a few! There is a big list on that site.

Last edited:

Trev

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
Northwich Cheshire
Heyho ,
Even though it worked for me as a kid for nettle stings , when out with my kids I carry a whitchhazel/aloevera spray , I heard the dockleaf had just a placebo effect . After my son fell in a nettle patch I soon realised dockleaves were just so much bollox . hence the spray . It was a close call nettle stings on the throat are almost always incredibly serious .
To answer your question , No apart from taking your mind off a mild sting they have no use .
But thats wild dock , there are some cultivated types that are close to a sorrel ( I know nothing about these ) .
Actually I'd like to be told I'm wrong about wild dock , so much of it I'd like to find a use for it .
But , this is my experience of it .
Cheers , Trev .

gazmc2

Forager
Oct 5, 2008
Grantown-on-Spey
they can be used to wrap food in tied with nettle string & place under the coals of a fire to cook with, i made a woodpigeon breast with wild garlic parcel last week on a course...mmmmmm!

Jacko

Life Member
Aug 3, 2004
SHROPSHIRE
Thanks for all the info folks, thats grand :) As for the website link, well that is superb, just what I was after!!

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
Heyho ,
Even though it worked for me as a kid for nettle stings , when out with my kids I carry a whitchhazel/aloevera spray , I heard the dockleaf had just a placebo effect . After my son fell in a nettle patch I soon realised dockleaves were just so much bollox .
Cheers , Trev .

What a lot of people don't realise is that you don't rub the dock leaf on the sting. You should screw it up in you hands and rub it between you hands until you can squeeze the juice out of the leaf. It is then this juice that you apply to the sting. This is much more effective than rubbing the leaf on the sting.
Not trying to preach to the more experienced on here but thought some of the less experienced might not have heard of this.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I thought the whole Stinging Nettle/Dock thing was a case of mistaken Identity? Can't remember where I thought I saw or read it but i thought the Broad Leaf Plantain was the 'real' sting cure??

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
I haven't heard of that before. Hopefully someone else will have more details. I'm always learning new things on here.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I've been told one of the best nettle sting cures is cleavers (goose grass / sticky bud plant) - bruise and crush to extract 'juice' just like dock

I've also heard that nettle uses in a similar way is the best still but that seems too much like a way of getting further stung, though I wouldn't be supprised if it's true.... I'll stick to doc / cleavers thanks!

I've been told one of the best nettle sting cures is cleavers (goose grass / sticky bud plant) - bruise and crush to extract 'juice' just like dock

I've also heard that nettle uses in a similar way is the best still but that seems too much like a way of getting further stung, though I wouldn't be supprised if it's true.... I'll stick to doc / cleavers thanks!
yup nettle juice works!
though i find unless you are making nettle cordage you aren't inclined to pick any, if you're already getting stung its no big deal

3bears

Settler
Jun 28, 2010
Anglesey, North Wales

my grandpa taught me the same thing! interestingly enough, if you find nettles- you'll normally find dock plants growing nearby- has saved my ears from a lot of screaming kids over the years lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE