Uses for Kevlar 'Paracord'??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

seraphim

Dec 19, 2010
Ratae Corieltauvorum
Ok, so it's not paracord, it's kevlar cord about the same diameter used by the Missus' old man at work to test mil kit, so once it's been used it gets binned! Middle seems to be a multitude of kevlar strands, very fine like fine hair almost, yellowish in colour. used it to strap some stuff down to the roof and it doesn't stretch or slip.

Each bit is about 10-11m long, Any ideas for what uses, he keeps his green beans up with it, talk about overkill! I hate the thought of it getting binned! I might just convince him to give the used stuff to me and horde it anyway! :lmao:

mark wood

Forager
Jul 25, 2004
Newcastle
Bulletproof bracelets a-la Wonderwoman :D

Ok, so it's not paracord, it's kevlar cord about the same diameter used by the Missus' old man at work to test mil kit, so once it's been used it gets binned! Middle seems to be a multitude of kevlar strands, very fine like fine hair almost, yellowish in colour. used it to strap some stuff down to the roof and it doesn't stretch or slip.

Each bit is about 10-11m long, Any ideas for what uses, he keeps his green beans up with it, talk about overkill! I hate the thought of it getting binned! I might just convince him to give the used stuff to me and horde it anyway! :lmao:

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi seraphim if theres any spare i wouldnt mind 3 or4 lengths of it to try out on the old hammock to see if its any good for that regards dave

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I've seen a way of making fire that involves 'sawing' with a piece of string on a fire board. An ember builds up on top but you need some tough fireproof sting otherwise it'll melt before an ember is made. Kevlar 'Paracord' sounds ideal.

horsevad

Tenderfoot
Oct 22, 2009
Denmark
What are the specifications on the Kevlar "paracord"?

Kevlar fibres don't take to well to bending, so normal knots and bends cannot be used - if you are to retain any normal breaking strain limit.

Kevlar has been used to make emergency rappelling cord.

I always carry such a small roll of 35meters 3mm Dyneema SK-75 cord in the back pocket, for emergency rapelling and other self-rescue situations. Has proven to be worthwhile in at least two incidents, where I was able to assist others in possible life-threatening situations.

//Kim Horsevad

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Kevlar fibres don't take to well to bending, so normal knots and bends cannot be used - if you are to retain any normal breaking strain limit.

Kevlar has been used to make emergency rappelling cord.

and

Horsevad is right about tight bends in Kevlar. If you tie knots in it and use it to support your weight, make sure you don't have far to fall!

Given that AFAIK rappelling involves subjecting a rope to sharp bends under load, doesn't that make it a poor choice, emergency or not?

the interceptor boy

Life Member
Mar 12, 2008
Angleterre.
try make yourself a Viking belt or a sling for your knives. any spare please donate to me and I make a belt for myself and hammocking.will reimburse for pp. cheers the interceptor boy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE