Uses for Buddleia

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
We've got a mature purple Buddleia growing in the corner of the garden and it's recently taken some heavy storm damage.
I've taken off some pretty hefty limbs and noticed it's very much like Elder having a pithy centre. I suppose the obvious question is has anyone tried it for friction fire ligthing ? I've burnt plenty of it each autumn in the incinerator when it gets hard pruned, it burns good and hot so I don't see why it wouldn't work.

There are also some interesting spoon shapes on the pieces I've cut, again does anyone know if Buddleia is safe to use for food contact ? One or two good sized burls on there too so maybe a little kuksa in the making.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
We've got a mature purple Buddleia growing in the corner of the garden and it's recently taken some heavy storm damage.
I've taken off some pretty hefty limbs and noticed it's very much like Elder having a pithy centre. I suppose the obvious question is has anyone tried it for friction fire ligthing ? I've burnt plenty of it each autumn in the incinerator when it gets hard pruned, it burns good and hot so I don't see why it wouldn't work.

There are also some interesting spoon shapes on the pieces I've cut, again does anyone know if Buddleia is safe to use for food contact ? One or two good sized burls on there too so maybe a little kuksa in the making.

I've used a well seasoned straight bit as a bowdrill and it worked quite well.:)

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I'm sure I've heard of someone using Buddleia as a handdrill... Seems like the right sort of thing.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hi Rich, I have used it often as a hand drill.

It takes in moisture easily so you have to be careful.

Make sure it is nice and dry and try it out.

Cheers

George

I'll certainly give it a go I think, I just need to toughen up my palms first before I shred them though.

Hey Shewie,

Not had any use for it up to yet though it is listed here:-

http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Buddleia+asiatica

Don't know if it is good as a fire drill, though I have heard it used as such.

Sorry I can't be of further help mate.

TTFN
Colin.

Cheers for the link Col, it mentions drying out the root and using for fermented liqour, sounds like a plan to me.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Thanks for the replies folks.

I've got a good bundle tied up for drying at the moment so I'll see how I get on.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
I'll give this a go too, always cutting it down this time of year for someone or other.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE