Useful videos for sewing

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I was looking around on Youtube for your basic how to do seams videos and came across these guys who work in canvas and have a whole host of various tutorials on all aspects of sewing which I thought folks on here might like to have a look at.

[video=youtube;-s4gubcEymQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s4gubcEymQ[/video]

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That would tackle leather, heavy wool, and my quilting too…..I have been clearing out sewing machines. I've given away three, and I'm down to two….and having just got some space in my workroom I'm enjoying it :) If I had a bigger one I would be seriously tempted by that machine though.

Get thee behind me…… :rolleyes: :D

M

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Great vids Steve, saw them on the other place.

Whilst there are a few with sewing experience - I'm keeping my eye on Mam's treadle powered Singer as hopefully, something that I can put to use when she no longer uses it - any ideas what it is likely to be able to cope with as far as materials go? I have a "New Home" electric jobbie, that I basically blew up when sewing my ventile smock - it knocked the timing out a few times and despite my best efforts refuses to sew at normal speed now.

Cheers

Ogri the trog

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Whilst there are a few with sewing experience - I'm keeping my eye on Mam's treadle powered Singer as hopefully, something that I can put to use when she no longer uses it - any ideas what it is likely to be able to cope with as far as materials go? I have a "New Home" electric jobbie, that I basically blew up when sewing my ventile smock - it knocked the timing out a few times and despite my best efforts refuses to sew at normal speed now.

If you're looking for the usual sort of materials we bushcrafters tend to favour, ventiles, canvas, thick wool, leather etc then a lot of folks swear by the Singer 66k, 99k or 201k models.

You can get all those models as hand cranked, treadle or electric though the electric versions go for the top price

paulnb57

Nov 18, 2007
Isle of Wight
I got a hand cranked Singer 99 for nowt on Freegle, it needed a damn good clean and a couple of parts, it will sew what the other two Lidl and one Toyota wont, strong as you like and slow and controllable, its tick tock tick as it sews is quite theraputic, it won't backstitch or zig zag though, just a basic straight stitch, one of these days I'm going to try thick canvas, I bet it will do it......
Instructions are online and parts (often good used) can be found, superb bit of kit. Hand crankers are often sought after to refurb and send to Africa so folk without electrickery can use them....
Anyone looking for an old Singer could do worse that pop a wanted ad on Freegle...
Paul

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE