Used Hammock Prices

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Single layer is good, its lighter

Not good if you're heavy, or if you want to use a sleep mat (before splashing out on an underquilt.) With a double layer you can also cocoon yourself between the layers. If weight is your only criteria you're better off on the ground under a tarp.

Last edited:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I'v used a sleeping mat on with single layer hammock for 14 years, and never NEEDED to get between layers on a double skin one, i find it too restrictive
weight is an important critera for all types of hiking. Not just bivvy and tarp.
With hammocks its very easy for your equipment to be absurdly massive. I'v seen youtube vids of chaps going for overnighters with full size bergans full of DD hammocks and snugpack underquilts....this is fine for walking a few hundred yards from your car, but rather silly for covering any distance on a multi day trip
In fact i'd feel rather silly humping all that gear a few hundred yards for an overnighter tbh

We dont know what the OP wants which is why i decided to post a lighter weight option. I dont know if he weighs more than 90kg either

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I'v used a sleeping mat on with single layer hammock for 14 years, and never NEEDED to get between layers on a double skin one, i find it too restrictive
weight is an important critera for all types of hiking. Not just bivvy and tarp.
With hammocks its very easy for your equipment to be absurdly massive. I'v seen youtube vids of chaps going for overnighters with full size bergans full of DD hammocks and snugpack underquilts....this is fine for walking a few hundred yards from your car, but rather silly for covering any distance on a multi day trip
In fact i'd feel rather silly humping all that gear a few hundred yards for an overnighter tbh

We don't know what the OP wants which is why i decided to post a lighter weight option. I dont know if he weighs more than 90kg either

personally I value the comfort of a good nights sleep over 300g's of weight when I'm not hiking any significant distance - each to their own. Like you say we don't know what the OP is doing... but there's reasons double layer hammocks are popular and it would be remiss not to point them out. The difference in price and weight is essentially because you're buying less material.

M

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Yup, each to their own, lots of options out there. I can be just as comfortable in a 1.5m hammock as a 1.8m

If i'm expecting to spend a lot of time in the hammock i definately do prefer a wider one. up to 12hrs a day in the tropics i want some room to move around
For a fast and light approach these days i use a DD superlight which is a fairly snug lay and wouldn't suit everybody but i sleep perfectly fine in it

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Yup, each to their own, lots of options out there. I can be just as comfortable in a 1.5m hammock as a 1.8m

If i'm expecting to spend a lot of time in the hammock i definately do prefer a wider one. up to 12hrs a day in the tropics i want some room to move around
For a fast and light approach these days i use a DD superlight which is a fairly snug lay and wouldn't suit everybody but i sleep perfectly fine in it

I can't get a decent flat diagonal lay in any of the DD range, or the TW hornet range - I always banana up. Having the attached bug net makes it worse. My go to hammocks are now the TW Super XL and my hammockbliss sky bed bug free. The skybed really is super flat.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I know it's not a tried and tested brand but how about making one yourself? a simple one can be incredibly easy....

http://theultimatehang.com/2013/10/make-hammock-3-minutes/

I've done the same as this as with a length of 1.8m wide parachute nylon [you can get it in different widths - 1.3 probably about the narrowest you can get away with for a hammock] - you can make it as long as you want, ultra compact for me would be 2m long my TW ultralight is around 2.4m I think. I don't reckon you need more than 3m. It is also easy to double up on the material if you want extra strength or a pocked for a pad etc - I've often thought of filling a double layer with duff from the forest floor for insulation.

andibs

Forager
Jan 27, 2012
S. Yorks
Thanks for the comments and suggestions folks. Weight is not a primary issue to start with as the initial use is for canoe camping, although if things go well, might also consider it for cycle touring.

Any other suggestions welcome

Andy

andibs

Forager
Jan 27, 2012
S. Yorks

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Another vote for the TW hammock here. Had mine for longer than i care to remember and still going strong with regular use.
Its comfy and very generous on space. Packs down to nothing being silk. Yes a mozzie net is needed but only for a few months a year.

andibs

Forager
Jan 27, 2012
S. Yorks
I've spent the last few days googling (other search engines are available), youtubing and generally ferreting about looking at the range and options. I've also thought through what I want and where it's going to be used.

Most of my multi day paddling trips are in Scotland, so I am factoring in the dreaded midge factor.

I like the look of the TW Hornet, so before I do my usual and commit cash by diving in head first and then finding out what I should have bought and while reviews look good, and leaving aside personal preferences, has anyone found anything fundamentally bad about the Hornet.

Cheers
Andy

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I've spent the last few days googling (other search engines are available), youtubing and generally ferreting about looking at the range and options. I've also thought through what I want and where it's going to be used.

Most of my multi day paddling trips are in Scotland, so I am factoring in the dreaded midge factor.

I like the look of the TW Hornet, so before I do my usual and commit cash by diving in head first and then finding out what I should have bought and while reviews look good, and leaving aside personal preferences, has anyone found anything fundamentally bad about the Hornet.

Cheers
Andy

It isn't a model that I have used, but it does seem very popular and there has been a waiting list for them for a while. they sell out quickly if that is any indication.

My one criticism of TW hammocks is that green flat rope they use for suspension. It has its plus points, but it does stretch, so a correctly suspended hammock in the evening can leave you touching the floor by morning. I would replace it with whoopie slings personally, or at least something with less stretch.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I have a tw grey hornet. It's OK but like the DD the Mosi net stops me getting a flat diagonal lay unless you hang it "wrong". It's better than my old DD though. Slightly bigger.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
You can buy a brand new DD Camping hammock for £25... my lad has one... we're about to try modding it using some webbing, hoops and bungee cord to get the upper layer to hang more like a DD Frontline... if it works, he'll be a happy camper... if it fails, he'll be relegated to a jungle hammock until we next go to the mart.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE