US Military ICS (improved combat shelter) (one man shelter)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
http://www.orcind.com/webstore/proddetail.asp?prod=16932

I bought this a while ago from a US seller on ebay because it was going relitively cheap at the time.
I said I would do a review but never got round to it, but now I have a bit of spare time so here we go.

It is firstly in UCP (universal camo pattern) which doesn't quite work in the uk unless you are in a place that is very rocky.
Thesy aren't made in woodland camo any more and if you get one keep it as they are like gold dust. The UCP version is the standard now in the US military.

All the camo material is a ripstop nylon with a black rubber backing, this is to stop light shining through so
a.) if trying to sleep in daytime it is pitch black inside
b.) if its night time and you are shining a torch inside, the light cannot be seen outside so in theroy you aren't detected by the enemy.
the set comes with a main stuff sack and a repair bag; which contains spare fastex buckels, 50ft paracord, 7x aluminium pegs, spare material for patching and a big packet of McNett seam grip.
(these pegs are hardcore)

the poles and pegs are made by a company called easton technologies; this is a link to the poles that are in the kit they are the nanolite ones.
http://www.eastonpoles.com/views/tent/nanolite.php
and the pegs are here; they are the nano blue ones.
http://www.eastonpoles.com/views/tent/tent-stakes.php

Main body:-
Its design is an open front with a slight overhang on the flysheet to shelter the entrance . the entrance is a double zipped one with insect netting as one and a waterproofed pannel behind so you can have the back pannel open in summerand get light and extra air in through the insect mesh.

The back has another zipped entrance which is a ripstop nylon material. this leads to your porch area when the fly sheet is attached.

The base of the main body is a bath-tub type with thick rubberised material that extends up to about 4 inched up the sides of the main body so you don't have to worry about water or mud getting in.
the rest of the material of the main body is treated with some sort of waterproofing agent as I have found when putting it away in the rain the water just runs off it.

To errect it you have 2x long aluminium pole which pass through a central tab on the top of the main body and cross to each corner where they fit into a grommet. the poles are then clipped into place with plastic clips that run up each edge.

It can be used like this in hot weather when you think rain isn't going to be an issue.

Flysheet:
The fly sheet can be used on its own with the poles as it has grommets at all its corners to accept them so if you need a quick shelter its errected in just a couple of minutes.
the flysheet has its own small pole that runs across it to form the rear porch area and the front overhang. the pole slided down a sleave of material which is sown into the top surface.
The flyshet is connected to the main body via fastex clips at each corner and can be pegged down also for extra stability in high winds as it has peg tabs running all along its outer edges.

I really like this system it is fast to errect; only took about 7 minutes and is quite versitile. I like the blackout feature and the fact I can use the fly on its own as a quick bivi shelter if I cant be arsed carrying the rest of the setup.

cons:
def has to be the camo pattern it dose stand out from the green UK landscape but makes it easy to fine if you are staggering back from the pub on a dark night.

Last edited:

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
Whole set together weights 2.1kg, so is great for backpacking.
Granted weighs more than just taking a tarp; so if your into ultralight setups this isn't for you. But much better at getting you out of the elements if you want to go wild camping, especially if there are no trees.
If you ditch the main body and just take the poles, stakes and flysheet I recon that will weigh about 1kg.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE