US GI Spoon

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I was challenged by a friend of mine in the US (Bikebum1975) to carve a wooden version of the GI issue spoon, not being one to turn down such a challenge, i accepted and today carved my representation of said spoon.

DSCN3347.jpg

DSCN3321.jpg

The spoon was carved from Sycamore (Acer pseudoplatanus) and took about 90 minutes to make, from selecting the log to the final finish. I have to say, i enjoyed carving to a set design and really like the shape and style of the spoon, for reference the spoon is 6 3/4" in length and the bowl is 1 3/4" at it's widest point, the cut out in the handle measures 1/2" wide and is 1" long.

DSCN3326.jpg

The original GI Spoon features some extra lumps and bumps on it and has the letters "US" stamped into it, as can be seen from the photo my friend sent me to work from.

spoon03.jpg

I've not at this stage replicated all of the finer details into the wooden version, but may go the whole hog and add them at a later date, or even carve another one and incorporate as much detail from the metal version as i can, perhaps that can be a job for later in the week?

Last edited:

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
that's greatgoodjob
i can't imagine trying to work to a set design when carving a spoon, mine are all tree shaped!

minor little point; acer pseudoplatanus is what you meant to say (if we're gonna use botanical names then we really should try and spell them properly, people just point and make snide remarks otherwise) :)

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
minor little point; acer pseudoplatanus is what you meant to say (if we're gonna use botanical names then we really should try and spell them properly, people just point and make snide remarks otherwise) :)

Cheers ears:), but shouldnt the Acer part have a capital letter?, dont want people pointing at us now do we:rolleyes::lmao:

Original post amended:)

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
:lmao:, nah, go whittle a spoon instead:)

as it happens i do have the house to myself tonight, whittling would be an ideal way to make a suitable mess, after all she needs something to moan about when she gets home, it's the moaning that keeps her happy!

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
as it happens i do have the house to myself tonight, whittling would be an ideal way to make a suitable mess, after all she needs something to moan about when she gets home, it's the moaning that keeps her happy!

Perhaps a bit of chip carving as well then;)

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
And here is my take on it. Yours turned out great Kep :D

100_3295.jpg

100_3297.jpg

100_3315.jpg

My version finished aside from oiling it up :) Mine is made from beech I had fun doing this also first time for trying a set design myself

100_3316.jpg

100_3317.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE