URGENT: reccomendations on backpacks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

EastSussexScout

Tenderfoot
Feb 27, 2010
Brighton
off to snowdonia in a few weeks and i've just recieved the kit list. it says 35 litre daysack but i normally travel much smaller than that so all my packs are too small. i'm looking for a 35+ daysack with water bladder compatibility. any reccomedations or cautions. the good and the bad. saw this. what do you think?

http://www.millets.co.uk/rucksacks/rucksacks/product/105083.html

trying to spend as little as possible without compromising too much as i doubt i'll use it that much but when i do need it, it needs to be good.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Looks fine. I'm not into posh stuff, just stuff that works. I've got a non framed 30-40 litre Eurohike from when the brand was launched. Its still going strong and is one of my favourites. Not tried them myself, but a lot of people like the Highlander NRT rucks. No dedicated bladder pocket though: Endys

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
the highlander 44 is a cracking pack, i know its a little bigger then your after but the next one down is a 33.

EastSussexScout

Tenderfoot
Feb 27, 2010
Brighton
thanks for the suggestion of the highlander 44 but i'm looking for something with the padded waist and chest straps. sorry i should've made that clear. see, i'm expecting quite a bit of weight and i prefer it sitting on my hips than on my delicate shoulders.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
What's on the kit list apart from the pack ? If you're happy carrying everything you need in a smaller pack why bother getting a new one ?

There's a Tracpac 35L in the classifieds which is a nice little budget pack, I had the 45L for a couple of years and was really happy with it.

Last edited:

EastSussexScout

Tenderfoot
Feb 27, 2010
Brighton
the list looks pretty extensive, stoves and fuel, waterproofs, first aid kit, thermal gear, gaiters, penknife,maps, spare jackes, fleeces, hike tent,..... you get the idea. looks pretty good graham, little large but i'll definately check it out anyway.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
looks pretty good graham, little large but i'll definately check it out anyway.
Too big is better than too small.
It's got side compression straps so you can always compress it down, and that kit list looks big enough to need the extra room.
I'd have one of them myself, but I have too many packs around that size and SWMBO would kill me.

3bears

Settler
Jun 28, 2010
Anglesey, North Wales
was about to come charging in with my 5.11 rush 24, but this seems a VERY good price! I've been trying to find out what the bags are made of but I haven't been able to find anything quickly...

iamasmith

Forager
Aug 12, 2009
London
I actually use a 25L pack, do your existing packs have webbing or straps? I needed about 50L carrying capacity recently but when I looked at it properly all the superfluous stuff went under the straps. The Bivi/Sleeping bag was rolled up in plastic and hung underneath, spare footware (a pair of those trainer like sandal things) went under a compression strap at the side etc.

I still favour loading the outside like this because you have a nice compact pack when camp is up and you have the core of your gear in a good, wearable space.

I've got a Maxpedition Falcon II with an organiser pouch and extra bottle pouch btw. this isn't your cheap option but FWIW this is a very versatile setup, if I have a bladder in the hydration pouch then I don't carry the water bottle and I might carry my stove in that etc. tons of straps, tons of extra potential and built ^^

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Too big is better than too small.
It's got side compression straps so you can always compress it down, and that kit list looks big enough to need the extra room.
I'd have one of them myself, but I have too many packs around that size and SWMBO would kill me.

I agree a little extra room(10L more making a 45L pack) is good especially if you pick up stuff along the way, you never know what you might end up carrying for someone else too.

Last edited:

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
On the opening post the Millets Hydro35 pack. Well I had the Hydro 65+10 Very briefly.. w

Was comfortable enough, awkward to pack as the 'side' pockets actually infringe on main pack too much. Carried less then my Rocketpak without pouches (which is a 40 litre pack!). But worse then all that and the reason I got a full refund, the top pocket came unstitched after one light use and whole thing felt flimsy!

I wanted the 35 but wouldn't go near one now....

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
the pack looks fine mate, 35/45 litres would cover most applications. find a millets and go and have a look at what they have, or a mountain warehouse, they have some good budget stuff. or second hand of the bay.
might be worth laying out the kit list items and seeing how much space you really need.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
http://www.outdoorwarehouse.co.uk/i...2B84251B263CB6&order=priceHigh&parent=&page=1

Check out this long link. It is for an Aarn pack from Outdoor Warehous for £40. It is only 27 litres though but I saw it and thought it a good deal. They do some kind of front pouch for them to balance the weight making a more stable carry and more natural walking motion apparently. At this price it is cheap for this make and weight I think. Perhaps you could get the front attaching pouch to make it up to the 35 litres and at the same time you are getting a very well made and premium product too. I have been seeing more of these Aarn sacks in the Lakes since this shop started to sell them and often at good prices too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE