URGENT if your children have mobile phones

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
All mobile phone numbers are being being listed in an open directory. If your child has a mobile nnumber you may consider making the phone ex-directory. This will prevent people gathering data and more importantly putting there name into a search engine and getting their number. Also for personal reasons you may wish to remove your number to prevent cold calling etc, etc.:soapbox:

You may or may not be aware but next week (13/07/2009), all UK mobiles will be listed on a directory which will mean that anyone will be able to access the numbers so will be open for cold calling. It is easy to unsubscribe but it must be done before the beginning of next week to make sure that you are ex directory. You may want to unsubscribe any personal mobiles or advise friends and family accordingly. Removal is recommended by the BBC.

Go to http://www.118800.co.uk then select Ex-Directory at the top right and follow the instructions which are quite painless.

Or use this service.

Personal Mobiles & Home Phone Numbers

If you wish stop cold callers / directory enquiry suppliers from using your home or mobile numbers please follow the steps below.

1. Block all marketing use of your phone number(s) data by registering both home and mobile numbers with the Telephone Preference Service (TPS)

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/ctps/number_type.html

2. Block the use of your mobile number with the new directory enquiry service , by completing the form on the new directory enquiry web site.

http://www.118800.co.uk/removeme/remove.html

Please be aware that this process has several steps and will take some time.

Junk Post

If you wish to block junk mail to your home address you should also complete the form on the Mail Preference Service (MPS) website below.

http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/mpsr/mps_choosetype.html

Sandsnakes

See you at the moot.:)

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Not everyone will have access; if someone requests your number (and they have to be willing to pay a pound to make a request) the person making the request don’t get given your details, they are merely connected to your phone. At the moment, you are give the right to refuse contact.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
These are the rules that are in place now,Tadpole,but as you know they can be changed in the future so that anyone will be able to purchase the whole list as an interested party.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
That's the way I see it Tadpole.
The other persons details are sent to you saying that they want to get in contact, they have to spend a £1 for the priviledge, then it's up to you to decide whether you want them to have your number or not.

Doesn't matter much to me anyway, I never answer calls from strange numbers unless I'm expecting one and I never answer withheld numbers.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Sapper and Bush

True, but companies can buy into the directories being produced, also a child is inclined just to say yes. That is my primary concern.

Sandsnakes

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
:eek:
You may or may not be aware but next week (13/07/2009), all UK mobiles will be listed on a directory which will mean that anyone will be able to access the numbers so will be open for cold calling.

Blimey, well that's just plain stupid, which idiot came up with that idea:rant:

I have a mobile for work use and always get unknown numbers on it!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've used the same sim card and number since 2006 and have received NO spam calls or messages, I must be lucky I guess. If your child is old enough for a phone then they are old enough to have you explain things too them I would have thought?

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
In my area I commonly come across six year olds with phones. I cannot argue the pros and cons of giving a child a phone. I can state that my nephew who is 10 and has learning difficulties will chat to anyone on a phone. He has a mobile with his parents numbers on speed dial in case he wanders off.

I would hate to think of him being groomed by some dubious person who purchased his number for a pound. We as adults have choices, children just tend to press the button and see what happens. I do not want to be offensive but for the purpose of this posting can we bare in mind the potential saftey issues for those less worldly than us.

Sandsnakes

michaelp

Jul 5, 2009
stony stratford
he main worrying thing for me is that its so open to abuse.

For example, say I am a stalker/ex/estranged husband/loony/guy with a restraining order/whatever, the act of just receiveing a communication this way would, I think, be extremely distressing.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I do not have a phone and so do not need to worry about things.

If i had children, they would not have phones either.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I'm sorry with this is just plain and simple paranoia at work, your kid is are greater risk from someone they know, that a stranger. They are more at risk from cyber bullying from class mates, than some random stranger spending hundreds of pounds in order to get the phone number by giving random names of a person who may or may not just tell him to go-forth and multiply. This need to be kept in perspective, the reason you see news reports about kids in the paper and on the news, is because it happens so rarely.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Like well taught knife saftey, if the right things are done at the right time accidents do not happen. I can teach a child knife saftey but what I cannot do is teach a child to evaluate another human adult, why? Because I get it wrong all the time as well, defining the motives of a friendly call can be difficult.

How many of us were aware that a phone system we thought of as secure has suddenly become a less so?

An exercise in paranoia can be a healthy and wise thing. Have you ever seen the link that shows your where registered sex offenders live? It is alarming that there are so many and that they are often in your community. Please don't get me wrong I am not advocating a witch hunt, but if the action of being aware and doing something about it saves one innocent then as far as I am concerned it is justified. I have actually been involved with a case of an adult grooming a 13yr old girl by txt. Fortunatly it never became physical contact but thats the way it was going. The girl in question is still not happy with txt messages and is now about 17.

Sandsnakes

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
So someone calls the directory company with a name. The company contacts the mobile phone by text with the option to accept call or not. The caller pays a pound. No numbers are released.

How does 2 add 2 get to 'pervert, stalking, axe murderer'?

The system may be useful to some. I doubt I would want to use it. However I won't get my pitchfork and flaming torch out just yet. ;)

Sandsnake, thanks for the junk mail killer that will be useful.

Alan

Dec 18, 2008
Durham.
Remember, the TPS only works for UK based companies. Call centres outside of the UK are free to spam you at will.
After registering with TPS/MPS, give it a few weeks for it to take effect. If you still get calls, ask them for their company name/number and mention that as a TPS member they are liable for a £5000 fine if they fone you again.
Pipex BB users;- register your landline with TPS and you are entitled to free 'caller ID' sevice.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Please don't get me wrong I am not advocating a witch hunt, but if the action of being aware and doing something about it saves one innocent then as far as I am concerned it is justified. Sandsnakes[/QUOTE]

True, but companies can buy into the directories being produced, also a child is inclined just to say yes. That is my primary concern[/QUOTE]

I have actually been involved with a case of an adult grooming a 13yr old girl by txt. Fortunatly it never became physical contact but thats the way it was going. The girl in question is still not happy with txt messages and is now about 17[/QUOTE]

I think I have answered most of your questions and observations as has Sapper1

Sandsnakes

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Does child of ten need a phone? No, of course not. How about banning electoral register records in public libraries, lots of data there. More than a hint of paranoia here; its a sad sign of the times :(

Fact is there is data all over the place and it won't go away.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
This was placed as information for parents who may have concerns for their children. In the same light it has been placed for members who may have and abusive ex-partner and there are lots of those around on both sides of the divde. On the other hand some may not like or appreciate being cold called or sent download links for expensive rubbish which proves hard to erradicate from the phone.

If you have a child you will appreciate the pressure to get them a phone to be like their 'friends'. The friends circulate texts all of the time, watch children as they come out of school in any town.

If you cannot support genuine concern please refrain from the negative.

That is the end of it for me I think, I hope the informed will do that which they deem appropriate. Others can do as they wish.

Sandsnakes

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've been trying to get on for 3 days but it always says "service unavailable" due to maintenance.

Anyone else struggling ?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE