Urban Kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I end up working in a large west coast city about 50 weeks of the year. Bushcraft comes in short intervals on weekends or on holiday. I am constantly thinking about urban scenarios that play a role in my preparations for daily carry items and skills. Many bushcraft skills and tools can play a role in urban disaster scenarios. I have written an article over at JM's magazine that outlines some of my thinking.

http://outdoors-magazine.com/s_article.php?id_article=171

I would appreciate any comments on this aspect of my crazy daily behavior. Part II of this article should be out in a few weeks.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
As your kit is for escaping a city,I think you have too many 'bibs and braces'
3 torches 5 knives and a leatherman? there is a lot of unnessicary weight in your vest that you probably wouldn't use as you have an alternative. As your zippo wears a coat,I assume you dont smoke,you could replace this with a disposible 'bic' or leave it out as you already have the matches and firesteel.Your kit could be as comprehensive,but not so heavy as it is now enableing you to travel faster or with less energy.

leon-1

Randy, I noticed hat you have a number of torches, some of which work on CR123A batteries, these, although very good, are very battery intensive, you may be better off getting a torch which uses less in the way of power. The lucido uses normal batteries (AA's) and last for a huge amount of time (I have the lightwave and it states 300hrs, not the brightest of torches, but still very good). The other thing with this is that you could get a small solar battery charger and have a second set on charge at the same time, this would take up very little space and you could at a push use them for starting fire.

To be honest a leatherman and the Ingram would do you fine (I haven't forgot the cord and it will be on its way shortly, my apologies for the delay).

If in larger Kits you have a bigger Ingram, I cannot understand the need for a Sebenza (they are excellent, but if you already have a smaller knife like the ingram lacer which has a fixed blade????).

Matches Lighter and firesteel, I aint going to say a thing, I carry all three, some in my jacket that is left in the changing room for the cleanroom that I work in. Although I have alternatives the Zippo is quite a good choice as you can use the fuel from vehicles to keep it going, you may also be able to use surgical alchohol amongst others, so I have no problems with this as a renewable source of fire.

In general this is a good kit and I look forward to seeing the rest :biggthump

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Great kit there, and a lot of it too :shock:

:biggthump

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
I tend to only carry a survival kit when i am traveling abroad these days.

My mini kit

I consider anything larger than this to be a hinderance to every day actions
if i carried the amount of kit that is outlined in your article i would soon tire of the weight and jingling of kit

if i was preparded enough to carry that weight of equipment, then i would be prepared enough to carry a full shelter, water purifier, cooker, pot, fuel, and sleeping bag......... which would weigh in about the same as your survival kit at around 2.5 - 3 kilos (if asked i will demonstrate how this is done)

i think i counted 8 knives in your kit a Mauser SAK, sebenza, another SAK, unidentified neck knife, micra leatherman, Gene Ingram Lacer, leatherman juice and you make mention of also carrying a Benchmade Model 5 in addition to this on your belt

for me this would be massive overkill I would carry one good knife and one leatherman (indispensable in urban conditions) and use the weight and bulk saved to carry a proper first aid kit which is likely to be of far more benefit

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Stuart said:
I tend to only carry a survival kit when i am traveling abroad these days.

My mini kit

That's my fav style kit now too!

if i was preparded enough to carry that weight of equipment, then i would be prepared enough to carry a full shelter, water purifier, cooker, pot, fuel, and sleeping bag......... which would weigh in about the same as your survival kit at around 2.5 - 3 kilos (if asked i will demonstrate how this is done)

OK, I'll ask ... how do you do it? :wink: 3 kg limit seems tough to me. :biggthump

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Thanks for the comments guys. I can see you have discovered my knife fixation amoung other odd behavor. I will try and address a couple of points but some of these are covered better in the article.

This kit is not about escaping the city at all. My primary goal is to get safely out of an old building, contact my family, make it home if possible, and then ultimately begin volunteer service to the community. Leaving is not really a consideration.

The zippo is not necessarily the best choice as it does evaporate over time but I like it so much better than a disposable lighter. Disposables will appear in my other kits as they really are top kit. The Zippo is an old one and even when empty makes for good kit, the cotton packing can be removed and used as tinder, it carries extra flints so will go on and on as a sparker even when empty, but I do agree a disposable does make some sense.

The 3 torches are not all emergency kit. Remember my article covers my daily carry and some pieces are there for daily use at work. The Stylus light falls into this category. As to other lights, well I simply do not have any experience with the rapidly changing realm of LED lights. Another reason to read on the forums etc.

As to knives only one SAK is carried even though 2 are shown as choices. My Sebenza is now looking like it will indeed be replaced by the Ingram Lacer, but it has been a part of my vest kit for as long as I have worn the vest so we will see what happens with time. I usually end up carrying new knives for a while to shake them out and if they fit they tend to stay. Since I braid leather frequently the Ingram wharncliffe is pretty much in constant use so it probably will stay. I have no neck knife in this article or any of the pictures. Indeed I state in the article that the Juice and Lacer are my minimum choices...I just will probably never carry the minimum. :eek:):

As to having too much, well that is the point of the article, each person should evaluate what is needed and not needed for their scenarios. I cannot imagine falling back to Stuart's capsule kit and feeling anywhere near prepared. But that is me. My radio information sheets take up more room then the TAD capsule. :wink:

As to carrying a tent and sleeping bag I just cannot see how that would work in an On-body kit worn to work. Having this in a bag would work but not worn. This article is my on-body kit, Part II will cover additional equipment, but I do not get close to a tent and sleeping bag until I get to the car kit.

Thanks again for the read and comments. I have made some changes to my kit simply from finally getting it written and posted. Always a work in progress.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
full shelter, water purifier, cooker, pot, fuel, and sleeping bag......... which would weigh in about the same as your survival kit at around 2.5 - 3 kilos

ok here goes:

Blizzard bag - 350 grams

prod_survivalbag_2.jpg

provides you with a waterproof shelter and a sleeping bag rated to 8 togs
in a package the size of a video cassette.

http://www.blizzardprotectionsystems.com/acatalog/detail_bag.html

Pre-Mac water purifier -180 grams

PC_MWP.GIF

provides you with 400 liters of pure water removing viruses and bacteria and fits in a shirt pocket

http://www.pre-mac.com/PWP_TTW.HTM

Triad titanium Alcohol stove - 28 grams

img9.gif

cooker with a diameter of 85mm, will fit in shirt pocket

MSR TITAN .85lt cooking pot - 118 grams

titan_kettle.jpg

http://www.msrcorp.com/cookware/titan_kettle.asp

Ok so that comes to 676 grams leaving me with another 2.3kilos

as this is an urban kit I think the next item on my list would be a SR 76 Chem escape hood

gulchem.jpg

http://www.srsafety.se/

this would keep you safe from the airborne hazards of an urban catastrophe weights 531 grams and comes compressed in foil small enought to fit in a jacket pocket

for light i would carry a Black diamond Zenix LED Headlamp - 93 grams

zenix_s.jpg

which utilizes a luminox 1 watt led with a lens to refine the light into a beam (these torches are so bright they are now used by cavers as there main lamp)
it also has two standard leds if only a little diffused light is needed

http://www.bdel.com/gear/lightware/zenix.php

and i would carry a leatherman charge Ti - 238 grams

chargeti-open350.jpg

so that all comes to 1.5 kilos leaving me another 1.5 kilos to play with before i reach 3 kilos

i would carry a futher half kilo of medical equipment which would include amongst other things a sachet of quikclot

QC10green.jpg

which is capable of stopping the bleeding from a compleat bisection of the femoral artery and vain :yikes:

that leaves me with a kilogram, well i'm sure i'll find some other gear to fill that firesteels etc, but thats the basics of it :biggthump

and of course i would be wearing my My mini kit

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Excellent Stuart. I am going to look up a bit of that...especially the Blizzard bag and the Quick Clot packet.

Of course you don't have a styling vest in this, but you do still have a kilo. :eek:):

Oh yeah, don't forget some alchohol for the triad.

Thanks

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
No alcohol in my kit. I do have 3mL of lighter fluid for my zippo, but otherwise no fuel at all.

I do not have a stove for on-body carry. I sometimes have an esbit in my shoulder bag but a real stove does not make my lists until I get to the car kit.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Excellent recommendations Stuart. There are a few items listed that I would definitely consider adding to my gear list.

For the most part, I like your kit Schwert, especially the styling vest. The amount of gear is a bit bulky for my taste, but then I have friends that think I carry way too much as well. :?: I just don't get it, everything has a place and a reason for being there :eek:):

For winter carry, I would seriously consider the Blizzard bag and in the near future, I would like to add a small purifier that can be easily carried and transfered to each jacket, vest, coat and small kit as needed. As far as a stove, I don't consider one, except in my main ruck for LD hiking/hunting and the vehicle has one stashed. The main reason is that open fires, primarily I use the Dakota hole style, are usually allowed where I travel to, except during extremely dry seasons, when even a stove isn't allowed.

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
My only add to this kit, if you haven't mentioned before is a small 8" flat prybar to pry open windows, doors post etc... It is as long as a sheath knife so no great space needed. Like the Filson vest, good product.
just a thought

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE