Upside down fire lay

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Traper

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2008
Poland
I've tried this type of fire and I'am pretty disappointed. I had built a upside down fire and it lasted about 2 hours. But the amount of the wood used was enough to burn for 16h with normal fire. Just by adding small bits.
Second thing is that if you want to cook you have to re-arrange the fire anyway. So in my opinion it's highly ineffective.
Maybe they work good with great deal of large wood but do you have that kind of abudance when you're camping? And if you do you can use it for many days and not waste it on one upside down fire.
Just my opinion...

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Here in the U.S. they originated with the Boy Scouts. They were only used when a BIG fire with a lot of light was wanted. Such as at large gatherings, particularly, where some ceremony was being held. As I pointed out on another thread, they are sometimes called "council fires". most likely applying an Indian name to something that is non-Indian, Although, there is a possibility that they were used in Native American ceremonies, but I doubt it because of the large amount of wood needed.

They can work, and work well, if the wood and construction techniques are correct, but are seldom needed by anyone, if at all. With the possible exception of the large groups like I mentioned above.

rivermom

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2008
Sligo, Ireland
Red man lights a small fire. Sits close to fire. Stays warm.
White man lights a big fire. Stays warm, chopping wood.

But seriously, I came accross a wonderful method of lighting a 'torch' thing, that not only gives light and heat for a gathering, but keeps the bugs at bay.

You get a large log, that you can stand on end. Then you chip out a depression in the top of it. Then you split it in four, almost to the base, with a saw.

Then, when you want to light it, you put a pebble in the centre of the split, and put some coals from the cooking fire into the bowl. It will burn down through the log like a candle, with a surround of the unburnt bark. Can last for hours.

rivermom

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2008
Sligo, Ireland
Yup, that's the kind of thing I mean. We used taller, thinner logs around the perimeter of a large gathering area, for light and to keep the bugs away. And when they burn through, they give beautiful shapes to fuel the imagination for story and song.

The pebble, when you are lighting it, is to open the splits a little to let in some air.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Oh, alright, I get it now, The pebble just acts as a wedge. It don't think that you mentioned it could serve as a pretty fair stove!

An observation from someone who has never heard of doing this let alone never tried: I looks like if you were going to use this as a stove, a piece of wire wrapped around the center of the log might be a "good thing." It would keep the log from suddenly falling into 4 pieces and dropping what you were cooking into the coals. In my case that would most certainly be upside down!

I'm amazed at the simplicity of this.

Traper

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2008
Poland
No problem- always happy to help :)

It's great in winter, doesn't sink in the snow because base is cold and it's much faster to setup than ordinery fire.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE