Uprooted tree as a shelter.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Swede

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2006
Sweden Roslagen
I wonder if it´s common to use an uprooted tree as a shelter among the members in this forum? In Sweden kids are learned not to. Just because that the tree might spring back when someone is under. For a few years ago there was a great storm in Sweden and a lot of trees were damaged. When the storm had settled, and the land owners wanted to inspect how much damage there was, at least one man got killed by a tree. /Swede :nono:

Swede

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2006
Sweden Roslagen
Of course I mean a tree that recently been tipped over. The man I mentioned killed by the tree inspected his forest a day or two after the storm. One reason to keep learning children not to play under a uprooted tree is because they can´t estimate the time of how long the tree been on the ground. /Swede :confused:

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
There was a story i was told when i was doing forestry at college, about a group of foresters who, after starting work on a windblown tree, decided to have lunch in shelter of the rootball, needless to say, their pre-lunch work had lightened the tree enough that, during the meal break, the tree sprung back upright, killing one and seriously injuring two others. Worth taking note.

Boosh

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2007
The New Forest
Interesting subject this, we have tons of uprooted trees around here in the woods and never heard of them snapping back.

How does a tree "snap back" up again once it's uprooted? :confused:

Boosh.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Another dangerous practice is sheltering under the root mass of trees that have been cut. Even if the tree was old and the ground frozen, sheltering there could be fatal if you light a fire. The danger is this. The root mass is no longer connected to the trunk, so the root mass is heavier - it's just the frozen ground keeping it there. Light a fire, defrost the ground and the root mass topples.

I'd rather not risk it. If there are wind blown trees in the area, there should be plenty of browse to make proper safe shelters from.

Eric

Reactions: bambodoggy

Boosh

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2007
The New Forest
So what we are saying then is stay away from uprooted trees that are still attatched to the rootball, yes? Thats understandable now you mention it, i think most people would be surprised ath the amount of roots under your average tree in the woods. :eek:

As i said before, we have loads round here, some that i remember playing on the upturned base as a kid myself. I thought for a while then trees were suddenly able to defy the laws of gravity! :D

I've actualy contemplated using the base of an uprooted tree for a shelter myself in the past, but they always seem to be waterlogged at the base where the stump made the huge hole.

Thanks for the info anyway Swede, one can never have too much info on the potential dangers of the forest.

Boosh.

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
I've used a fallen over cedar for an a-frame styled shelter, worked just fine. Cleared out the branches inside and used them for bedding, added some more on top (with the help of a nearby spruce), and made a thick bed, worked nicely.

Now the root system itself.. no, I never use. Nice windbreak for hunting, but shelter? All that I find are either already in damp soil (ie near swamps), or the hole left behind is getting a nice sized puddle. As well, cold air sinks.. and I'm in a hole? I'll stick to the aframe set up.

As long as the tree is secure and won't come down any further, I would say it's good for shelter. As well, if you want some extra security, doesn't take much effort to set up some supports.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Eric_Methven said:
Another dangerous practice is sheltering under the root mass of trees that have been cut. Even if the tree was old and the ground frozen, sheltering there could be fatal if you light a fire. The danger is this. The root mass is no longer connected to the trunk, so the root mass is heavier - it's just the frozen ground keeping it there. Light a fire, defrost the ground and the root mass topples.

I'd rather not risk it. If there are wind blown trees in the area, there should be plenty of browse to make proper safe shelters from.

Eric

I am not not sure I understand here. What you think of is a tree that has had the trunk cut off?

Would be a nice way to go... Swallowed by a oak like Merlin... :D

Nicklas Odh

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
Ed, Sweden
When I was a kid I was told not to go near the uprooted tree. It was the hole that was dangerous, not the tree. I really doubt a tree can fall back in its own hole with all the branches and stuff still on it. After the tree had been taken care of and just the stump is left, then its really dangerous. I will still teach my kids, if/when I get any to stay away from fallen over trees.

I guess the reason for not going into the hole for a kid is that it might be safe for week, when the tre is still on the "package" but one day the farmer been there cutting away the tree itself and now you have a big lump of stones, earth/sand and tre roots that can squash a kid. The might have climbed on it but one day it falls on you. It like the same reason you should not jump up and grab onto the top beam of a soccer goal.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
torjusg said:
I am not not sure I understand here. What you think of is a tree that has had the trunk cut off?

Would be a nice way to go... Swallowed by a oak like Merlin... :D

Yes. The forestry commission often cut up windblown trees - to make them safe for the public. I'm talking about hangups though, not those that have come completely onto the ground. The trees that hang up on other trees at about 45deg are often cleared and chopped up. So the rootball is left sitting there again at 45deg - very tempting if you need shelter. In summer, it will most likely drop down as soon as the tree trunk is released from it by it's own weight alone. But most clearing and felling is done in winter and that's when the rootball can be held at 45deg by frozen earth alone. Camp under there with a nice little fire and you're asking for trouble.

Eric

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Hi Guys,
Many years ago i was taught to winch the stumps and root plates back in to a vertical position after cutting to ensure there was no risk of spring back, is this still done or not?. Its a long time since i did any tree work!.
cheers lou

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
This Saturday I tackled a winblown spruce, not big at about 450cms dbh.. Now I wanted to cut logs and normally I would cut at the bottom to free the whole trunk and then start.

But I was on my own so I decided to take of the lower branches up to where I wanted to start from... as I snedded back I kept an eye on the plate and cleared the brash out of the way. When I decided to take the top off I undercut a wedge and then cut down from above.

I had some 30' of clear stem 4 foot off the ground. I cut off a small section and the weight of the chainsaw was enough to depress the end, so I knew it was'nt going to spring back yet. I logged back every foot until I could feel that the tip point was approaching.

Since I would ideally liked to have a 20 foot section fall in a different direction to where I'd been working I took a meter long piece off , and walked away as the trunk slowly went back up to the near vertical... lots of compressed energy in a spruce root..........

I put in a wedge cut where I wanted and felled the remaining bit onto the track, ready to roll onto a trailer and off to be made into a ridge piece for a turf roof renovation....

Windthrows can do all sorts of strange things but if you approach it with that in mind, it's possible to get them to do what you want [a big chainsaw helps, mind you :D ]

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I used an old tree stump hole as a basha site / Fire scrape once, it was the middle of summer on Salisbury Plain the hole was bone dry when I built the basha but that night it rained, me and my mucker woke up in a very big puddle!
:(

Scuba Pete

Forager
Nov 3, 2005
Glasgow
Thinking about it there is alot of weight in the branches and leaves when they are green. If a tree is uprooted, it could take a long time for it to dry out. I can see how it could be a while before it eventually snapped back.

I am glad I read this, it's good to know. Athought I think the mud hole at the roots would have put me off anyway.

Swede

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2006
Sweden Roslagen
@ matt-w

Cheers mate. It all started when I saw a picture (on this forum) and reminded me of the accidents here in Sweden. Not good to have an accident and maybe far away from help if one survive. /Swede :(

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I must admit I have never heard of a tree doing this, imagine seeing this whilst taking a stroll through the woods! you'd brake the landspeed record getting away!:eek:

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Swede is so very right on this one!! My own son wanted to play near one such blown over pine tree when he was a young fellow 6-7yrs old. We told him no..emphaticly and tried to make him understand and why, well about a half hour later we were walking back to our camp from my inlaws campfire and low and behold the wind had re-stood that same tree without a noticable sound..eerie but true. My son and every one else in the campground gathered in amazement at the sight....the tree was cut down the following day... way...to dangerous. Might use one as a shelter spot for boiling tea but not for any lenght of time or with any persistant wind present, not for a camp anytime, once shown never forgotten.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE