Upgrading kit - opinions?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gixer

Dec 16, 2012
Midlands
Great thing here can often be the worst thing advice wise, in that we have such a varied amount of members doing such a varied amount of activities things like clothing recommendations can be a nightmare.

Clothing that's good for sitting round a camp all isn't necessarily the best for climbing up the side of a mountain.

There is then the amount of activity you intend to do, walking 20 miles with 2000 meters of ascent in wet, heavy wool and cotton clothing is my idea of a nightmare.

Personally i'm not the type of bloke that can sit still, so i want something that's breathable and dries quickly.
Wool even Merino is pretty much the worst thing i could wear, it's also a fallacy that wool keeps you warm when wet.
Something like a fleece pullover will keep you warmer when you're wet through, plus you can wring it out to nearly dry if it totally wets out.

I'd personally sway towards rg598's layering type of system.
Lightweight, quick to dry and performs well.

One other thing about Ventile, not only does it leak it also has the breathability of a bin linear when soaked, add this this the extra weight of the moisture in the material and moving any great distance at any exertion level is a nightmare.

Woolen socks and underwear are also pretty much the worst use of wool.
If in doubt take your underpants and an eye dropper and drop a drip of water on them, watch what the water does.

For underpants and socks ideally we want this drop to spread, it means that the water is spreading over a larger surface area so our body heat has a good chance of drying it.

With woolen socks and underwear you sweat in a certain spot, say the ball of your foot and this moisture stays there.
You then end up with a damp or wet spot that chaif's.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE