Up to Scottyland. What to do, advice welcomed!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nick_S

Jan 2, 2007
Cornwall / Swindon
Hi all,

I'm very new to the whole Bushcraft scene, and what with living in Swindon at the moment, I'm finding it very difficult to find places and time to do stuff! Luckily, I'm escaping in a few weeks' time to go up the Black Isle in Northern Scotland.

I've got a Mora, a certain kind person bought me an SFA and I've also got all sorts of bits and bobs from my days in the cadet force (don't tell my QM!). I'll be living outside for two weeks and would welcome any and all advice or suggestions on what I should do with myself.

(By the way ... don't worry, I'm not just disappearing into the wilderness unprepared, I'm living with some friends in yurts, etc.)

I intend to to all sorts of plant identification, fire-making (friction, spark), shelter-building, cordage-making...

...but I'm sure the crowd here will have lots more ideas, as well as any other advice, no?

-N

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Hi Nick,

Sounds like a fine excursion planned. Don't forget to the important tasks of relaxing and chilling out amoungst your busy schedule ;)

Have fun,

Matt.

Scuba Pete

Forager
Nov 3, 2005
Glasgow
Well, make sure you bring lots of warm clothes and good wet weather gear.

Oh and when your up here don't call it Scottyland, the locals might not like it. lol

Scuba Pete

Forager
Nov 3, 2005
Glasgow
I speak from experience, I am english myself, moved up here a few years ago. There a good bunch, just don't get them started on english football and you will be ok.

Scuba Pete

Forager
Nov 3, 2005
Glasgow
I forgot to mention midges. It depends on when you are going but they can be a nightmare. You might want to get a head net. There are small so make sure hte mesh is fine enough.

Do a search here, there are some good pics.

Nick_S

Jan 2, 2007
Cornwall / Swindon
Scuba Pete said:
Well, make sure you bring lots of warm clothes and good wet weather gear.

Oh and when your up here don't call it Scottyland, the locals might not like it. lol

Noted! (especially the latter =) ...)

Thanks for the responses all. I might see if I can get my hands on a head net, that's a good idea. I've got a net on my Hennessy which I'm told is fine enough to keep out Scottish midges. Having been up (but not living outside) before, I would reckon that mid-March is a bit too early for the really nasty midge swarms, no?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nick_S said:
Noted! (especially the latter =) ...)

Thanks for the responses all. I might see if I can get my hands on a head net, that's a good idea. I've got a net on my Hennessy which I'm told is fine enough to keep out Scottish midges. Having been up (but not living outside) before, I would reckon that mid-March is a bit too early for the really nasty midge swarms, no?

Mebbe, mebbenot, they might just have woken up hungry :D :lmao:
Let us know when you're coming, there might be folks about.

atb,
Toddy

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Posted this in another forum but thought that it might be of interest here too.

If you're interested in a bit of wildlife watching whilst you are up I'd highly recommend visiting this website:- http://wildlife.visitscotland.com/.

The website is nothing special but I found their free brochure (order on the right hand side menu) suprisingly good good. It has area specific maps indicating the majority of the Nature Reserves (RSPB, SWT etc) around Scotland along with specialty species (try saying that after a few drams!) for each reserve along with, entry fees, opening times (for the centers), access info, contact details etc.

I live in the Edinburgh area and discovered quite a few (small but good) nature reserves that I never knew existed!

The Black Isle has some great dolphin viewing (Cromarty), Red Kite sites (North Kessock) and also has some extensive mud flats and small bays were you can go foraging for cockles, mussels and razor shells.

You'll have fun. Hopefully the midges won't be out by then but with the wierd weather patterns you never know.

EDIT: Forgot to say the Black Isle Brewery does some great organic beers too!

Nick_S

Jan 2, 2007
Cornwall / Swindon
Beer Monster said:
The website is nothing special but I found their free brochure (order on the right hand side menu) suprisingly good.
EDIT: Forgot to say the Black Isle Brewery does some great organic beers too!

Many thanks! I've ordered a brochure -- hope it gets here before I disappear up north.

Have also just worked out my train fare...let's just say it works out to 3 figures! :eek:

Well, I'm sure I'll forget all about wages and rent and stuff when I'm there, so not to worry.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Nick_S said:
Many thanks! I've ordered a brochure -- hope it gets here before I disappear up north.

Have also just worked out my train fare...let's just say it works out to 3 figures! :eek:

Well, I'm sure I'll forget all about wages and rent and stuff when I'm there, so not to worry.

Good stuff. Bizzarely it is sometimes cheaper to fly up ......... although I supose it depends on how much kit you are bringing.

Sleazy jet fly from Bristol to Inverness/Glasgow/Edinburgh for about £50 but it depends what day you are travelling. Mid week is cheaper than weekends i.e. a one way flight costs £24.99 on a sunday £15.99 on a monday and £8.99 on a tuesday!

EDIT: And rememeber to off set you carbon emmisions! London to Edinburgh is 664 miles, 144kg CO2 which only costs £1.08 to offset:- www.climatecare.org

Thorfinn

Tenderfoot
Dec 15, 2006
West Lothian
Well it's good to see that your coming up to our fair land, weather should be ok by the sounds of it, and anywhere you go yoou'll find as alot to do. The Black Isle is a lovely place to go.

Oh, and you wont need a imsect mask net 'hing, there not that bad, i would only take one of them to america or canada. Now thats big bugs

But just remember enjoy yer sell and respect nature

Have fun

Thorfinn

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE