Up the Sugar Loaf and down again

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Well, the title is more or less the trip report :)

I've been recovering from surgery to remove my gall bladder, and it has all been going well, and I haven't needed to take a painkiller for 6 days, so it was time to test out the recovery. The plan was for me and Jax (the dog) to park at one of the National Trust car parks and then see how far up the hill I could get before lack or fitness or pain caused me to turn back.

Halfway there (horizontally), but with the steep bit to come.

20741860779_41046bc774_b.jpg
[/url]On the way up by Michael Kilner, on Flickr[/IMG]

The thing about a peak like the Sugar Loaf is that you can always see the top, so it drags you onwards, and it isn't steep until the end, when you feel it is too close for you to turn back. So, since I was feeling good, we made it all the way to the top. I have to say I felt enormously pleased and proud of myself having achieved this (summit at 596m), though the strong wind at the summit means I don't look like it.

20928573825_631f01d7e3_b.jpg
[/url]The Horror at Fang Rock by Michael Kilner, on Flickr[/IMG]

The view to the north to the rest of the Black Mountains. They will wait for future trips, now that future trips seem to be a possibility once again.

20918863912_308ea50e04_b.jpg
[/url]The Black Mountains from Sugar Loaf by Michael Kilner, on Flickr[/IMG]

Jax takes in the view on the start of the descent. He has to be kept on a lead at all times because he considers sheep as things to chase and other dogs as things to start a fight with, regardless of the likely outcome of the fight.

20935943481_7f4fb6bc2d_b.jpg
[/url]Jax on the Sugar Loaf by Michael Kilner, on Flickr[/IMG]

I made it home safely, and so far the only bit that hurts is my shoulder from continuously hauling Jax back when he sets off after another sheep. If I don't react badly over the next few days to this unprecedented exercise, then I will consider myself fully recovered.

It was great to be outside again :D

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Great pics of a fantastic place! Looks like you had a good time...and I hope you are fully recovered!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE