Up for trade

blackfeather

Settler
Jun 13, 2010
west yorkshire
:)I have revised this section cos I thought I should make this listing and my wants list a little clearer

signed Martinni of finland hunting knife perhaps made as a game dressing knife.
it has a beautiful edge and is in as new scratchless/ perfect condition.
it should be as its never been out the house
the handle is curly birch and there is a pewter stag motif on the belt loop added by me
this really is a very beautiful yet full functional knife
033.jpg

As for my want list here we go
(10) make me an offer you never know your luck also I have loads of other kit not shown or listed here if you dont ask you wont know.
aside from these items I do have a coleman northstar petrol lantern which was bough last year lit once then stored I must have had a fad.

Last edited:

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Hi there,

I'm interested int he Coleman Feather stove. Is it the 442?

I have (somewhere, kicking around in storage) and old British aircraft compass which might be of interest. I haven't a clue what type it is, haven't seen it for at least ten years. It was on a boat that I bought about 15 years ago. Totally unsuitable for a boat so I replaced it with a marine compass and put this one away. Anyway, if you're a collector it would be a lot better in your collection than in a dusty box in my warehouse. If I can find it. Interested?

Dunno what else I might have for a trade, nothing very bushcrafty that would match a Coleman stove I don't think. Things like a bicycle or a lean-to greenhouse. I have a few sharpening stones left over from a group buy that I did a while back:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56195

blackfeather

Settler
Jun 13, 2010
west yorkshire
hI THANK YOU FOR THE COMPASS OFFER. DEPENDANT ON TYPE AND WHEN IT WAS MADE.
THE DATE IS VERY IMPORTANT WHERE COMPASSES ARE CONCERNED FOR EXAMPLE COMPASSES OF PRO/ MILITARY TYPE MADE PRIOR TO 1965 MAY CONTAIN RADIUM 226 WHICH REMAINS ACTIVE FOR 35000 YEARS CHANCES ARE AN AIRCRAFT COMPASS UP TO THAT DATE WILL HAVE BEEN KEROSENE DAMPED IF YOU COULD CHECK THE DATE ON IT AND IF ITS MILITARY CHECK IF THERE ARE TWO ARROWS LIKE <--> on the base or just one also the makers name would be helpful
cheers

ged

Jul 16, 2009
hI THANK YOU FOR THE COMPASS OFFER. DEPENDANT ON TYPE AND WHEN IT WAS MADE. ... PRO/ MILITARY TYPE MADE PRIOR TO 1965 MAY CONTAIN RADIUM 226 WHICH REMAINS ACTIVE FOR 35000 YEARS

It's certainly a military compass (it's the typical aircraft equipment grey) and I imagine it's nearer 1945 than 1965 -- the boat is older than that, and it's older than the boat. I think the guy who sold me the boat said it was from a Lancaster but don't hold me to that. I shouldn't be a bit surprised if there's radioactive paint on the dial but I can't remember much detail. The paint really isn't an issue if it's sealed in the case but you probably wouldn't want to keep it on your bedside table! I had a quick scout around on the Web to see if I could find a photo of one that rang any bells but I didn't see anything exactly like I remember it. There's a photo of a vaguely similar thing in an auction catalogue here, lot number 167:

http://www.denhams.com/auction-catalogue/antique/415/clocks-scientific-instruments

As I said the one I have is painted grey and it looked to be in better condition than the one in the catalogue, which someone has mounted on home-made gimbals. I vaguely remember that my one has its own gimbals in some sort of case. It's quite a bulky thing, about a six or eight inch cube if my memory isn't playing tricks. If you're interested I'll see if I can find it but don't hold your breath.

blackfeather

Settler
Jun 13, 2010
west yorkshire
HELLO AGIN GED IF THE FLUID IN THE CAPSULE IS STILL FULL WITHOUT BUBBLES AND THERE IS NO BROWN OR PINKY SLUDGE THEN I WOULD BE VERY INTERESTED. THE REASON I MENTION THIS IS THAT I SAW ONE GO OFF THE SCALE ON A GIEGER COUNTER AND MY COMPASS COLLECTION IS IN THE LIVING ROOM AS THERE ARE SOME VERY VALUABLE ONES AMONGST THEM. I DI HAVE A LEAKING COMPASS REPAIRED LAST YEAR THE COMPASS COST ME £50.oo and the repair and removal of the radium stood me at another £110.oo the whole thing would still only fetch about 50/60 at auction.
I am so worried about the radium cos i have two of my own kids still at home plus two grand kids who visit very regularly.
if i buy a compass which contains the lovely stuff i always have it sorted, my wife loves the idea, not!!! to her cash is better spent on qvc!!
so anyway if theres no signs of leakage or the brown sludge pink sludge you may have yourself a deal.

the coleman by the way is the coleman feather but its not the silver one the fuel tank is like a brown copper type colour if that any more help

ged

Jul 16, 2009
...I SAW ONE GO OFF THE SCALE ON A GIEGER COUNTER...

The danger with radium is in ingesting it. It's an alpha emitter. Alpha particle emitters will do serious damage if they're inside you because then the only thing that will stop the alpha particles is you. That's why the girls who used to paint the dials were so badly affected, they used to lick the paint brushes to get a fine point, got a lot of radium in their mouths and ended up with many horrendous illnesses.

A Geiger counter is not sensitive to alpha particles, mostly to gamma rays from the radium decay products. Depending on how energetic they are, gamma rays can go through quite a bit of dense shielding (and they might go straight through you, without doing anything, it's all about probabilities) but alpha particles can't penetrate even a sheet of paper. Just a few centimetres of air is enough to stop them. So if the radium is well contained you don't have to worry unless there's a very large quantity of it, in which case the radiation levels from the decay products (beta particles and gamma rays) can get quite high. Of course if there's a fire the container might be breached but I think you'd be a lot more worried about the fire than about the radium. If your house were burgled and the things were stolen and passed on to an unknowing third party that might become a problem. But I've got watches and clocks with radioactive paint on them, and I don't worry about them at all. There's probably more radioactive material in me than there is in my clocks.

I am so worried about the radium cos i have two of my own kids still at home plus two grand kids who visit very regularly. if i buy a compass which contains the lovely stuff i always have it sorted

Very wise. If something went terribly wrong it would be no good saying afterwards that you'd explained it to them. But I think they're at more risk from the TV and the computer screens (X rays) and mobile 'phones (microwave radiation) than they are from your compass collection, because they'll spend many, many hours glued to both. And risk from all these things pales into insignificance when compared with the risks from motor vehicles.

so anyway if theres no signs of leakage or the brown sludge pink sludge you may have yourself a deal.

I'll have a look for it on Monday. As I said, don't hold your breath. It's a big warehouse and there racks that I haven't looked in for years. I'm pretty sure it won't have been thrown out but it could easily have been moved or put in a crate with a load of other stuff -- in which case I might not see it again for another ten years...

the coleman by the way is the coleman feather but its not the silver one the fuel tank is like a brown copper type colour if that any more help

I think I know the one you mean. Doesn't it have a model number on it somewhere?

blackfeather

Settler
Jun 13, 2010
west yorkshire
hello again ged thanks for your reply.
I do worry somewhat a bit too much sometimes but there you go!! thats me all over if you can manage to find it on monday that would be superb as long as I ant already got the same one. failing the compass perhaps you could have a scout around see if you perhaps had a nice piece of bushcraft bladery?? am also in the market for a decent air rifle just have a scout I think the stove number is coleman exponant 442. thats what it says on it anyway. the collectable compasses are not the be all and end all am also looking for a recta dp2 or dp6 plus brunton eclipse models or the silva voyager range. my biggest wanteds are barker m88 stanley military model. decent waterproof binos / spotting scope all sort of interesting items
just have a look round and get back to me
best wishes

blackfeather

Settler
Jun 13, 2010
west yorkshire
Just added a few more items to the list in my last post up for trade
have alsoout a month made a few alterations to the listing as one or two items are now gone have a good look and read, sorry i ant posted any photos but my camera is in for repair and has been for about a month,
p.s. Just had a thought!!! Does anyone have a mint condition mod issue brass button compass the one with the little star shaped needle and the two and one dots.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Just added a few more items to the list in my last post up for trade
have alsoout a month made a few alterations to the listing as one or two items are now gone have a good look and read, sorry i ant posted any photos but my camera is in for repair and has been for about a month,
p.s. Just had a thought!!! Does anyone have a mint condition mod issue brass button compass the one with the little star shaped needle and the two and one dots.

:D Yeah ... uhm
I've merged this post you made as a new thread with your already excisting swap thread - as people otherwise get lost, as there are already tens of thousands of threads. If you make another addendum just post a reply in the same thread, that way people know it's you and it saves people searching your thread swapthread if they read your single post with the announcement you added some more gear ;)

ged

Jul 16, 2009
...failing the compass perhaps you could have a scout around see if you perhaps had a nice piece of bushcraft bladery?? am also in the market for a decent air rifle ... also looking for a recta dp2 or dp6 plus brunton eclipse models or the silva voyager range. my biggest wanteds are barker m88 stanley military model. decent waterproof binos / spotting scope ...

Sorry, I don't have anything like those things. Most of the time I make do with just a folding knife and a multitool. How about a big electric soldering iron? I have some cast iron fire grates and an enclosed fireplace if they're of any interest. Oh, and a motely assortment (a couple of tonnes) of high tensile nuts and bolts, large sizes, mostly galvanized. I think I'd better make a page of stuff available for swaps, and post a link to it!

blackfeather

Settler
Jun 13, 2010
west yorkshire
hello all please ckeck out this list as i have deleted some items and added others, as well as revised my own wants list.
please feel free to make offers, Have collected too much gear some has to go her indoors keeps giving me earache.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
blackfeather said:
...so anyway if theres no signs of leakage or the brown sludge pink sludge you may have yourself a deal.
I'll have a look for it on Monday. As I said, don't hold your breath. It's a big warehouse and there racks that I haven't looked in for years. I'm pretty sure it won't have been thrown out but it could easily have been moved or put in a crate with a load of other stuff -- in which case I might not see it again for another ten years...

Well I just had a good look in the place I thought it might be (I need a shower now :) ) and didn't find it. I'll have another look this evening but as I said, don't hold your breath.

blackfeather

Settler
Jun 13, 2010
west yorkshire
Hi ged its ok mate dont brak your neck looking for it. probably turn up when you have not looked for a while or not looking for it at all thats what usually happens to me

ged

Jul 16, 2009
Hi ged its ok mate dont brak your neck looking for it. probably turn up when you have not looked for a while or not looking for it at all thats what usually happens to me

Isn't that always the way?! I had another look last night but I was starting to lose the will to live after about an hour so I gave up. I did find a scanner that I didn't know was still around, however. Interested? It says on it that it's a Visioneer FU661G. It's A4 size, flat bed, USB interface. No idea if it works, I'll get it tested before I let it go.

Last edited:

blackfeather

Settler
Jun 13, 2010
west yorkshire
recieved whetstones for catapult frame today these stones are just superb cheers danny.
p.s. have managed to upload some photos of the other kit so take a look at the rest of this post

blackfeather

Settler
Jun 13, 2010
west yorkshire
Just removed a few items from here and even totally altered my wants list so take a look. the any four items rule still applies but this listing will be removed tomorrow night and what ant been ltaken will be on ebay friday morning I would much rather my stuff go to bushcrafters but am moving home soon and need to have a good clearout orders of S.H.M.B.OBEYED!!!
forgot to list a coleman northstar petrol lantern the single mantle type I bought it last year used it once then put it into storage it must have had a basecamp moment!!
but as the post at the bottom of this listing states I have loads more gear not listed here and it all has to go.
i am very very open to offers so go ahead and make them your luck will be in I can promise

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE