Unusually long hair

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I went out tracking yesterday and found a hair on a barbed wire fence next to a small woodland and patch of marsh.

It's about a foot in length, wirey, ginger/brown in colour.

There are lots of Roe Deer in the area and this was found at a point where they jump over the fence.

I just cant fathom out what part of the body this hair came from. There are no horses or livestock in this area so it must be a wild animal.

It is definitely a hair, and not part of a plant or string as I first thought, because it gave off that stench when I put my lighter to it.

Any ideas?

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
No wild ponies around here, this is in West Dorset.
I also thought it could be a hair from a horses mane, but nobody rides horses in that part as it's private land.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I can only think of two possibles, a long coated cow or a horse tail or main hair ?

Can`t think of anything else with hair that long

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Have to say it sounds like Highland cow tbh but a foot long is pushing it even for them. The only three things with hair that long normally are humans, ponies, and I was going to say dogs like red setters, but they're like the cows, not quite that long.
No idea........interesting to hear what it is though.

cheers,
Toddy

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
A lucky find and no question as to the owner:
thumbnail.jpg

I should go back NOW and lay your trap!

Cheers!

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Have to say it sounds like Highland cow tbh but a foot long is pushing it even for them. The only three things with hair that long normally are humans, ponies, and I was going to say dogs like red setters, but they're like the cows, not quite that long.
No idea........interesting to hear what it is though.

cheers,
Toddy

would that be one of them "heery coos" then:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE