Unusual Tinder!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

StormWalker

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 4, 2005
Mid-Wales
This weekend i was outside in the shed trying to make cordage from nettles, when my son (7) came into the shed complaining that all his pencils were blunt and broken and he couldn't do his picture. I told him to bring the pencils outside and his pencil sharpener and I would do them for him.
After the 30th pencil :( i noticed this lovely pile of thin wooden shavings piled on my work top, tempetation getting the better of me i grabbed my firestick and gave it one good stroke from which in a matter of seconds i had a fire a liitle to big to be on my shed bench for my liking :eek: :eek: .

But since then have tried outside and they are great, not a replacement for birch bark or c/wool, but if i am leaving from home for a wander and as my boy is constantly drawing at home they will always have a place in my tinder bag. :D

Any other unusual tinders used?

Hmmmm....it sounds as though you have discovered the value of wood shavings as tinder. For the bowyers in the group those curlycue's under your shaving horse work extremely well. No need to carry them however, as you can whittle your own in the field using your knife and a dry branch. A single shaving can be ignited with charcloth for occasions when you want a solitary flame ( such as to light a candle ) but not a flaming mass of tinder.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Thanks for sharing mate! Although I already knew this thingie (I saw it on the link below), it's great you came with this idea due to the circumstances you were in. (thums up smiley)

Kids, aren't they great ;) :D

Have a look at this thread at British Blades by Martyn: pencil sharpener

N

nomadbushcraft

have you tried etrafine 0000 steel wool? it works great for spark firelighting!

works with:

batteries (short out the terminals)
firesteels and doan firestarters
strike a light and flint
old metal files struck against rock
fire pistons

in fact any spark or ember based fire lighter

Andrew

Oct 16, 2003
Surrey
We all (or at least most of us) have hair. Could this be cut and used as tinder in an emergency? Never tried it intentionally, but I've lost my eyebrows a few times coxing the fire! Would it turn a spark to flame and, if so, would it be hot enough?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Andrew Middleton said:
We all (or at least most of us) have hair. Could this be cut and used as tinder in an emergency? Never tried it intentionally, but I've lost my eyebrows a few times coxing the fire! Would it turn a spark to flame and, if so, would it be hot enough?

Not unless you are desperate :p Most hair, like wool, will smoulder if there's a lot of it in a clump, and go out. If it's all open and airy it 'fries' up so quickly it's not really of much use.
I'd be interested in hearing of examples of hair that are of use though.

Cheers,
Toddy

isotonicpies

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2005
Andrew Middleton said:

I reckon if you use mousse or spray on your hairdo then you have an excelllent chance. Never tried it though!

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
I have used a mouse nest as tinder, if you are lucky enough to find one that is, If you are in the building game, especially plumbing and electrical you have a chance of getting your (gloved) hands on them, some could have been there for years as such they are usually bone dry.

Dave

isotonicpies

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2005
The leaves of the 'lamb's ear' plant will form a coal from a firesteel. Hang them up to dry for a day first though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE