Unusual bit of kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woodrat

Forager
Dec 31, 2004
Oregon U.S.A.
Happy New Year all !!. I want to first exspress my sense of honor and wonder to be among all of you!! I have to say that to a degree I feel like the novice among the masters.!! I am looking forward to learning lots of great stuff from you all, and maybe showing you a few tricks from a non-conformist yank.!! One of the things I carry is a homemade fish spear/harpoon point made from stainlss steel rod. works "smashingly" if anyone is interested I will send pics and instuct., easy and cheap and quick to make.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Welcome Aboard woodrat!!

i'v been thinking of making something like that for a while.. a small spear head i could carry in my pack and fit to a wooden shaft at need!
i would like to see a picture!!

I feel like the novice among the masters
dont worrie you will soon realise most everyone heres nutts!! :wink:

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
I carved a wooden ring and cut old viking/norse patterns into the top, and a tiny piece of amber set in the middle. It's not a charm I suppose, but to me it is somethig special. I wish I had a digicam, it's the one piece of carving I'm rather proud of.

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
I always wear 2 bracelets that mean a lot to me. One is in the shape of a snake and was given to me by some locals on a tiny island in Indonesia. When they heard I was going to be living in the forest they said I needed some protection from snakes and gave me this as a charm. I've worn it since and strangely enough I've never been bitten by a snake ;) The other was given to me by my wife the first time we tried to get married (a long story!) I've worn that one ever since too.

george

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I keep in my pack thick cheapie gardening gloves so I can pick hot pots up and not worry about thorns or nettles.

Mycil foot powder is probably a common one but great stuff often gets taken out with me.

I'm never seen without a krab of some description as they are invaluable for anything from abseiling to hanging your bag up with.

That's about it really, nothing that interesting.

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Maybe not a charm exactly but, a Leatherman. Currently my Wave, soon to be a Charge, previously PSTII and PST before that. Get very edgey if I don't have it on me or at least know exactly where it is. Been a few panics over the years when it's gone "walkies".

woodrat

Forager
Dec 31, 2004
Oregon U.S.A.
another piece I carry is a small handsaw made from reciprocating saw shaft I cut off and welded a peace of 1/2 in. steel round stock to form ergonomic sort of "t" shaped handle. I can not say its real light, but its really versitile and compact. the real plus is you can get 20 or more styles, lenghts, and types of blades to litaraly cut anything!!. was easy to make, took about hour to fabricate, then wrapped handle with old bicicyle innertube to give it some cushion. works excellent!!.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE