Unusual bit of kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Brainflex

Nov 6, 2004
Anyone carry anything unusual regularly when out ?
I carry a Cold Steel SF shovel,great for digging (obviously) knocking things in,with one edge sharpened as an axe/machete and other small uses.

dchinell

Tenderfoot
Oct 11, 2004
Sarasota, Florida, USA
Small and medium binder clips. Great for, well, clipping stuff.

I also carry a medium-weight carabiner with a four-foot loop of paracord on it. This rides on my pack shoulder strap. First thing into camp, the cord wraps around a tree and the biner goes through the end of the loop. Off comes the pack and it hooks onto the carabiner. Instant cupboard.

I like to download odd bits of reading material onto my Palm before heading out, just in case a rainy day needs something to pass the time.

There's a bandanna available through BSA shops that has some forty-odd knots on it. That and a few bits of paracord will keep me occupied for hours.

Bear

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
I've been wanting a similar shovel, but it would probably have a home in the vehicle with an axe and bow saw. Never thought about carrying a folding hanger with me.

If you had asked me a few months ago, I would have said a cell phone was unusual, but now I carry one, so it's not anymore. :lol:

I guess that the only item I carry with me that many would consider unusual from their point of view (to me it's part of life), would be my offering pouch. I made up a mixture of herbs that I carry in a small leather pouch. The herb is used as an offering to the Earth, prior to my taking those things I need that the Earth offers to me each day.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
i often carry corn or oats or sage for that RA..

im not sure if its unusual but i carry some plastic bags for putting foraged goodies and any rubish in!

also a pack of cards for fun and a bandana as it has loads of uses!!

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
When I'm backpacking, I carry a little insulated "cozy" to put my pot of food in to keep it warm. I can leave rice and noodle dishes set and cook themselves in the cozy and 15 minutes later they will still be too hot to eat without burning your mouth. Saves simmering fuel. Also makes a good "pot holder" for eating out of the pot so I don't burn my hands.

I also take a small spatula to scrape out the last little bit of food out of my pot. Makes clean up a lot easier.

cozy1b.jpg

woodrat

Forager
Dec 31, 2004
Oregon U.S.A.
I make nearly all my own gear,[ how else can you really get what you want], so I imagine most would consider it unuasul if not unconventional.

maverick

Tenderfoot
Nov 25, 2004
Newport, South Wales
My strange but main peace of kit is a pair of Felco Secateurs it has a carbon steel blade, very sharp! It works well with a fire steel the blades can be replaced easily which makes it a life long tool. I use the curved cutting anvil to lift billy cans from the fire and if I seperate the handles It becomes a great carving tool. It even comes with a lovely leather holster.

I have built a debri shelter using only the secateurs I also carved my wife a love spoon from a peace of hazel(I am Welsh you know!) which hangs proudly on my living room wall.

Happy new Year all :wave:

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
A bit of kit made in Australia by 'Sea to Summit'. A waterproof hanging toilet roll dispenser. Effing marvellous. Hangs on tree, keeps the rain out and no more damp paper-A bit of a problem in Scotland.

PS dchinell-Where do you get that 40 knot bandana??

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
I take a wooden chopping board about 9" x 6". Ideal for prepping food and a surface for carving without hitting rock or stone and a general flat surface.
My concession to comfort, age and a dry bum is a freebie folding sit mat from a camping or walking magazine.
My final item is a rosary purchased in Bogota that has been with me for 20 years and to more countries and through more difficult times than I can remember.
Does anyone else carry charms or keepsakes? Come on own up!

jakunen

Native
beachlover said:
My final item is a rosary purchased in Bogota that has been with me for 20 years and to more countries and through more difficult times than I can remember.
Does anyone else carry charms or keepsakes? Come on own up!
Can't say I keep a 'charm' or talisman etc (St. Christopher, rabbits foot, ...), but as my opinel has been thru so much with me, and has kept me safe, fed, warm etc, I guess you could call it my lucky charm...and it's goes everywhere with me...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE