Unreasonable women

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
Today I had a surprise visit from my Daughter, Granddaughter and Great Grandson aged 3 and a few months.
They turned up unexpectedly announcing they had brought food for sandwiches with them. Great, lovely to see them...I live alone in a small Cottage in West Wales.
They have left now and my head spins after a severe lecturing and huge amounts of complaining, moaning and suggestions that I am not normal as I don't live like " normal" people.... apparently.

I need reassurance now, do not "normal" people keep boat masts in 12 foot sitting rooms ? It wasn't all in the sitting room anyway so I don't know what they were complaining about...3 feet feet of the mast was in the Kitchen.

:laugh:...:laugh:

They sat on the settee moaning, eating their sandwiches, I told them there was plenty of room, just to be careful they didn't bite into the rigging. The running rigging is ok, it's Polyester but the stainless steel forestay and shrouds would do their teeth no good at all..
Great Grandson thinks I am a hero.. he got tangled in the rigging pretending to be Spiderman...and said "Mummy can we have one like this at home? " My Granddaughter very ungraciously said no !!

I have some new rigging to splice and a pennant block to install, so much easier inside on these damp, short daylight days.
:laugh:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sounds like home to be honest.
Your great grandson is off to a good start :)

I grew up believing that men without workshops were kind of weird but the house would do....and that houses where there was nothing but a fancy ornament or two were as boring as waiting rooms.
I think it's incredibly healthy to go into someone's home and instead of commenting something banal about what a mess, immediately want to know what they're making/doing/up to, instead.

We used to dry out and repair the kayaks in the living room...underfloor central heating is great for that :)
All we have out just now is my spinning wheel, a stash of iris leaves that I'm using to make rope and the guts of a computer under total rebuild.

Reactions: swyn and saxonaxe

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
@saxonaxe I cheere you, my good Sir!
A house is for living and doing stuff inside when weather don´t allow it to be done outside. A neat and "purdy" house with lots of decorative stuff has a name of its own = museum.

Reactions: saxonaxe

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
:) They are not unreasonable really, in fact it was an hilarious morning spent in laughter. Both are well used to my antics and Great Grandson is catching on quickly. I took the boat cover off the boat which is on a trailer behind the cottage and thought why not take the mast inside...via a back window..and then the girls turned up...:laugh:

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Bring them round my house in a few months. There'll be a few headless deer hanging in the garage.....

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
Our house it the same, we live in a small cottage and use the conservatory as a living room, at the moment it has a complete hot air balloon in it (not inflated). It's defiantly a conversation starter with any visitors. I'm rebuilding our barn at the moment which will be my new workshop when its finished but for the time being stuff is being stored where ever I can fit it.

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Madame tells me that when she was a little girl she was given a dolls' house. She never played with it but was made to clean it as a punishment. She still doesn't like housework.
I don't play with mine, but I have a lot of quiet pleasure making stuff, and small stuff is gentle on aching hands :)

Reactions: wookii

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Our house it the same, we live in a small cottage and use the conservatory as a living room, at the moment it has a complete hot air balloon in it (not inflated). It's defiantly a conversation starter with any visitors. I'm rebuilding our barn at the moment which will be my new workshop when its finished but for the time being stuff is being stored where ever I can fit it.

Y'see ? that's brilliant :biggrin:
I know someone who has a half built glider in his :)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I have a dinghy in my kitchen. Perfectly normal.

(Need better stowage for my folder which, IMHO, is an indoor vessel...)

Ive also got a German folding kayak now...havent dared to attempt to find out how it goes together...

Reactions: Toddy and Robbi

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
A house is somewhere you return to after an adventure outside. When you're in there it's wasted time if you're not preparing for the next adventure.

Unfortunately I must be strange as I don't have a workshop but use wherever I can when I need it. Plus I'm guilty of using professional services like bike mechanic for the bigger jobs. I know it'll be a good job and I spend my time out and about enjoying myself. I however do appreciate and am interested in other people's projects. Whether that's in a workshop or living room. It's not important where just that you're doing what you want furthering your hobbies and activities.

Positive!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE