Unknown British Hero

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gagnrad

Forager
Jul 2, 2010
South East
I was in Waterstone's today and came across a new paperback called Jungle Soldier by Brian Moynahan.

The subject of it is a naturalist, arctic explorer, and survival expert called Freddy Spencer Chapman. He was in Malaya during the war and went behind Japanese lines observing and sabotaging, eventually on his own, but causing such havoc that, apparently, the Japanese had an entire regiment looking for him. He endured every tropical illness going, and once was unconscious for 14 days.

Lord Wavell suggested that should be compared to Lawrence (who, of course, is better known because of the Seven Pillars of Wisdom). Mountbatten, who thought the comparison actually sold Chapman short, recommended him for a VC.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I was in Waterstone's today and came across a new paperback called Jungle Soldier by Brian Moynahan.

The subject of it is a naturalist, arctic explorer, and survival expert called Freddy Spencer Chapman. He was in Malaya during the war and went behind Japanese lines observing and sabotaging, eventually on his own, but causing such havoc that, apparently, the Japanese had an entire regiment looking for him. He endured every tropical illness going, and once was unconscious for 14 days.

Lord Wavell suggested that should be compared to Lawrence (who, of course, is better known because of the Seven Pillars of Wisdom). Mountbatten, who thought the comparison actually sold Chapman short, recommended him for a VC.

Anything but unknown, at least in some circles anyway
You might like to give "The Jungle is Neutral" (by F.Spencer Chapman Himself), a read if you enjoyed the above.;)

A very interesting insight I thought.

cheers

R.B.:)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
There's just so many books I want to read at the moment, thanks for the heads up, another for the list.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
What a real boys own type hero he was. If you enjoyed this then get books written by the man himself such as 'The Jungle Is Neutral' 'Memoirs Of A Mountaineer' or 'Watkin's Last Expedition'

I first read his works decades ago and I put him up there with Captain Scott.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Sounds like a good book.
It's just a shame I'm not allowed in any branch of Waterstones after putting 'signed by author' stickers on all the bibles and writing 'All the best. Love God' inside the covers.

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
Sounds like a good book.
It's just a shame I'm not allowed in any branch of Waterstones after putting 'signed by author' stickers on all the bibles and writing 'All the best. Love God' inside the covers.

LOL thats got to the funniest thing I have read in ages :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE