Unique Claycomb bushcrafter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I was chatting to Chris about loving the Spyderco bushcrafter knife. However, having the G10 version I didn't like the weight. I mused about ripping off the scales if Chris could attach some stabilised Welsh ash I had.

Chris wasn't keen, but was up for starting from scratch.

Today, this particularly beautiful and very usable knife arrived. I had sent the wood, from midway between where I was born and grew up, to be stabilised and then onto Chris.

The weight is 150g rather than the 220g of the g10. Significant and a game changer for me.

It has taken me a long time, some 18-20 years, but I now believe I have the grail knife I have been looking for. Now I just have to make a sheath to do it justice.

Many many thanks to Chris for doing this for me.

Attachments

• IMG-20220110-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20220110-WA0002.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG-20220110-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20220110-WA0000.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG-20220110-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20220110-WA0001.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 85

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
That's a lovely looking knife Dougster. Chris did you proud.

I know what you mean about finding your grail knife, I did after I had an original Spyderco bushcrafter rehandled with reideer antler. Then Dave Budd did a regrind of it so it was more like what Chris had envisioned when he originally designed the knife and it now feels so right in my hand that I've not looked at another one since.

Reactions: Dougster

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Dougster made me an offer I found hard to refuse....make a knife without needing to make a sheath! :lmao:
I also really hated to think of him becoming desperate and trying something rash and ruining the G10 Spyderco.

Chris

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
It's interesting how weight makes such. difference, I'm much more interested by a lighter knife now than years ago, I think I'm more conscious about carrying them easier...

That's a lovely looking knife goodjob

Reactions: Dougster

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Chris' work is excellent :cool: and he always makes a knife that is comfortable to use too; all day long comfortable, I mean.
I really like that contrast with the liners and the scales. Smart, very smart :)

M
I have one of Chris' camp knives from a while back (photo-library says 2008). I enjoy using it as it sits very nicely in my hand. I agree with the all day comfortable.

Yes, that green is a great contrast.

I'm much looking forward to seeing one of his 'folders'.
S

Reactions: Toddy and Dougster

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
It's interesting how weight makes such. difference, I'm much more interested by a lighter knife now than years ago, I think I'm more conscious about carrying them easier...

That's a lovely looking knife goodjob
I oddly found that the heavy handle would make me less secure with the knife compared to this one which is like an extension of my hand.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE