Unexpectedly hard eggs...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I think that makes your eggs a little cheaper than the ones I buy.
All the same, I like knowing whose chickens they are.
If I translate the egg part of recipes into the actual weight of egg used,
small eggs here are no bargain whatsoever. 4 large = 5 small.

This village is small enough that to be seen buying locally makes some political hay.
Many meats and certified organic veg here as well.

Pancakes. A mix or have you got a scratch recipe? I switched to a scratch recipe for buckwheat flavor.
My own cherry jam on top.
Impatient pig that I am, I bought myself a 4-slice toaster to heat pancakes from frozen.
Wish I could do that with fried eggs.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Pancakes, cr^epes, etc., are made from scratch, and like Broch it's a kind of that looks right, sort of recipe :)

Found the simplest every biscuit recipe and made them up today. There are none left, they've been guzzled and are gone.

250g of crunchy peanut butter
200g of soft brown sugar (or this being lockdown, whatever you have to hand)
1 egg

That's it.

Bung it all in a bowl and beat it until it's really well mixed.

Put the oven on to 180˚C and line two baking sheets.

Scoop out the dough with a teaspoon, heap it up, and lay them out eight to each tray 3-2-3 so they have a bit of room around them. Press them down with a fork to make a kind of grid pattern.

Bake for 12 minutes.

Let them sit for a couple of minutes to firm up a little (mine lasted all of thirty seconds out of the oven before the first vulture appeared :rolleyes: ) then lift out onto a rack to cool and crisp up.

I reckon with that fat and sugar quotient they'd be ideal hiking food :)
If you're feeling up to enriching it any further, add in a small handful of chocolate chips.
I did a mix, and both work well :)

M

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
We have a bunch of convenience product dry mixes which are quite poopular.
However, nothing with buckwheat. So with a spread sheet and a Google search,
I have concocted my own scratch mix. Big bag in the cupboard for whatever I feel like using.

4C all purpose flour* + 2C corn flour + 2C buckwheat flour + 4 tsp salt (gluten control)
+ 4tbsp brown sugar + 14 tsp Baking Powder(not Baking Soda.) Mix well.
To use: add milk and stir for a lump-free batter. Chopped cooked fruit (dice apple/peaches/apricots/pears)
or cherries or berries is a good idea.
* practical home choice. not a weak cake flour nor a strong bread flour.

Ooops! Forgot to add 1 large egg for each 2C dry mix used.

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have concocted my own scratch mix. Big bag in the cupboard for whatever I feel like using.

4C all purpose flour* + 2C corn flour + 2C buckwheat flour + 4 tsp salt (gluten control)
To use: add milk and stir for a lump-free batter. Chopped cooked fruit (dice apple/peaches/apricots/pears)

No eggs ?

Reactions: santaman2000

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk

Ooops! Forgot to add 1 large egg for each 2C dry mix used.

I was going to ask where the eggs were too :)

Do you really mean 14 tsp of Baking Powder? - I think I would taste that :(

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
My recipe is written in weights like a bakery. In general, I translate 1C flour as 160g.
The baking powder is spread out through 8 cups (1.28 kg) of flours. You could go as low as 12 tsp.
Also, it decomposes during the cooking process to release the leavening carbon dioxide.

Another edit. I keep remembering foodie things. I need a bunch of eggs to make pasta.
I like to roll the herbs right into the sheet and cut it as linguini = stained glass pasta.
I have never tried very fine dice peppers for that

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I haven’t been to the farmers’ market in a couple of months now (I mainly went for the raw milk and my dairy fat,Ed’s drying off his cows until September) it our yard eggs were going for $3/dozen then.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Proper buttermilk biscuits recipe:

INGREDIENTS
-2 cups (250 grams) all-purpose flour
-1 tablespoon baking powder
-1/4 teaspoon baking soda
-2 teaspoons sugar
-1 teaspoon salt
-6 tablespoons (85 grams) cold unsalted butter, cubed
-3/4 cup (180 ml) cold buttermilk, plus more for the tops of the biscuits

-Preheat oven to 450°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat and set aside.
-In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt until well combined. Add the in the cubed cold butter and cut into the dry ingredients using a pastry cutter (you may also use a food processor for this step) until you have small pea sized pieces of butter. Pour the cold buttermilk into the mixture and gently work it together until the dough starts to come together.
-Scoop the dough onto a lightly floured surface and gently work it together with your hands. Pat the dough into a rectangle and fold it in thirds. Turn the dough, gather any crumbs, and flatten back into a rectangle. Repeat this process two more times.
-Place the dough onto a lightly floured surface and pat it down into a 1/2-inch thick rectangle (make sure to measure!). Using a floured 2.5-inch biscuit cutter, cut out the biscuits. Continue to gather any scrap pieces of dough, patting it back down to 1/2-inch thickness, and cutting it until you have 12 biscuits. I suggest trying to get as many as you can the first time, as you continue to work the dough the biscuits won't be quite as good.
-Arrange the biscuits on the baking sheet touching each other. Brush the top of each biscuit with a little bit of buttermilk.
-Bake at 450°F for about 15-17 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Remove from the oven and brush with melted butter if desired. Allow to cool for a few minutes, serve, and enjoy!

Serve with:
- lots of butter and jam, jelly, or preserves.
-or serve smothered in either sausage gravy or tomato gravy,
-or serve as a sandwich filled with egg, bacon, sausage, ham, or some combination.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
1C is supposed to be 250g of water.

2C flour is really 320g on average. 160g/cup

I packed and weighed 10C All Purpose flour = 170g/cup
I fluffed up and weighed 10C AP flour = 150g/cup

The direct result of years ago is that I shovel out the flour @ 160g/recipe cup = never fails.

I did this exact same thing with eggs one day when I was making pasta.
I needed 6 large eggs. . . . . . So I weighed those 6 large eggs.
Wrote it in my personal cookbook.

Next time, I bought "small" eggs. I needed to use 8, nearly 9 small eggs for the equivalent.
For the asking prices here, the large eggs are the best buy. Don't let the grower smoke you off.
I'll guess that feed transport cost all the way up here to 53N is passed along.

Mar 6, 2020
Hemel Hempstead
Found the simplest every biscuit recipe and made them up today. There are none left, they've been guzzled and are gone.

250g of crunchy peanut butter
200g of soft brown sugar (or this being lockdown, whatever you have to hand)
1 egg

That's it.

Bung it all in a bowl and beat it until it's really well mixed.

Put the oven on to 180˚C and line two baking sheets.

Scoop out the dough with a teaspoon, heap it up, and lay them out eight to each tray 3-2-3 so they have a bit of room around them. Press them down with a fork to make a kind of grid pattern.

Bake for 12 minutes.
Thanks for this recipe, have just tried it out. Yummy.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
1C is supposed to be 250g of water.

2C flour is really 320g on average. 160g/cup

I packed and weighed 10C All Purpose flour = 170g/cup
I fluffed up and weighed 10C AP flour = 150g/cup

The direct result of years ago is that I shovel out the flour @ 160g/recipe cup = never fails.

I did this exact same thing with eggs one day when I was making pasta.
I needed 6 large eggs. . . . . . So I weighed those 6 large eggs.
Wrote it in my personal cookbook.

Next time, I bought "small" eggs. I needed to use 8, nearly 9 small eggs for the equivalent.
For the asking prices here, the large eggs are the best buy. Don't let the grower smoke you off.
I'll guess that feed transport cost all the way up here to 53N is passed along.
are those US cups or British cups?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
D
are those US cups or British cups?

Doesn't matter, it's 160g.

Measure your own and see how it adds up, but in quoting recipes or sizes to anyone else, or in science and engineering, use metric.
I still have scales that measure in oz and g, but my 'cup' is a china teacup, and that's what was used in the recipes in my Granny's cook book. Usually only for liquid measures like milk. Size wise it bears no relation to either UK or USA 'Cups'.

M

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
It's all 8 oz cups. The quarts and gallons are different, maybe even pecks and bushels.
Borderline useless. How many liters is that? Which are little boxes, 10 x10 x10 cm.

I have accumulated several sets of metal measuring cups. Assorted glass ones, too.
Sometimes, quantities really matter and then I will measure.
Otherwise, I look at the measuring cup and dump the ingredient in a bowl until it "looks right."

It becomes really obvious in food recipes and formulas which use a lot of eggs.
From my experiments, a small egg is about 80% of a large egg.
Both my pasta and waffle formulas need 6 large eggs.
I bought small eggs from a farmer, thinking I was being frugal. Wrong.
I learned to use more of them to compensate in recipes.
Pasta dough is very difficult to "repair" after mixing.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
D

Doesn't matter, it's 160g.

Measure your own and see how it adds up, but in quoting recipes or sizes to anyone else, or in science and engineering, use metric.
I still have scales that measure in oz and g, but my 'cup' is a china teacup, and that's what was used in the recipes in my Granny's cook book. Usually only for liquid measures like milk. Size wise it bears no relation to either UK or USA 'Cups'.

M
Actually it does matter. Our cup is only 8 ounces. If I remember correctly your pint is 20 ounces vs ours which is only 16 ounces. (2 cups = 1 pint; therefore your cup should be 10 ounces vs ours which is only 8)

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It's all 8 oz cups. The quarts and gallons are different, maybe even pecks and bushels.
Borderline useless. How many liters is that? Which are little boxes, 10 x10 x10 cm.

I have accumulated several sets of metal measuring cups. Assorted glass ones, too.
Sometimes, quantities really matter and then I will measure.
Otherwise, I look at the measuring cup and dump the ingredient in a bowl until it "looks right."

It becomes really obvious in food recipes and formulas which use a lot of eggs.
From my experiments, a small egg is about 80% of a large egg.
Both my pasta and waffle formulas need 6 large eggs.
I bought small eggs from a farmer, thinking I was being frugal. Wrong.
I learned to use more of them to compensate in recipes.
Pasta dough is very difficult to "repair" after mixing.
Baking is as much art as it is science. The scoence dictates a certain measure of each ingredient, but the art comes in when compensating for variances in pressure (altitude) and humidity.

You and @Toddy are both right about weight being the most accurate way to measure for baking (or anything else where a chemical reaction is part of the process)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You missed the bit......it's 160g to his recipe.

That's why we quote weight and not the cups when telling someone else how to do a recipe accurately, or when working it out really well for ourselves.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
You missed the bit......it's 160g to his recipe.

That's why we quote weight and not the cups when telling someone else how to do a recipe accurately, or when working it out really well for ourselves.
Yeah. You hit “post” before I did. LOL

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE