Underquilt Challenge for March

Dirty

Forager
Jun 21, 2012
Cornwall
So I’m hanging out at the end of March.
Hammock and Tarp all sorted. & sleeping bags.
But I have no underquilt.

I do have
1 King-size winter Duvet from Asda (cheaper than a single!)
1 Double sleeping bag (Charity shop)(Rectangular)
1 Single Sleeping bag (Rectangular)
Lots of fleece blankets - 120x 150cm
Enough nylon coated material to cover one side of the quilt.
One wool blanket

Lots of thread, webbing bungee etc.

My current plan is to cut the quilt to an underblanket shape, cover one side in the nylon material, line the other side with fleece blanket, create tabs and attach bungee, and then do similar to both the Single sleeping bag opened out and then the double (as a double sided item) Creating three separate underblankets so I can use them in the summer as well, and just use one of them for this hang. (Or Two)
Keeping my wool blanket for general use.
What I’m asking is, if you were to do this, would you do it a different way? I don’t want to use any more material, but how would you go about this, for a hang in March (including not cutting them up and using them as rectangles underneath instead of the snugpack template, or just using the filling from the duvet and binning the top and bottom.

I have inflating mats and roll mats as well, but just want one winter underblanket to rule them all.

(The hang is for a giggle, I may have a tent on standby, I am used to winter camping in bad conditions, and if I don’t like it I may go home or retire to the tent with even more sleeping bags etc, etc.

Dave

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Sounds very interesting Dave :)

To help further, what estimated thicknesses of insulation is in your bags and quilt?

I'm imagining 6 or 7 inches which would see you on the warm side of heat stroke :)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I made something similar a few years ago - its creation and latest state are covered in these two threads;

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17722&highlight=ogripod
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33589&highlight=ogripod

There's bound to be a number of other ideas, from somewhere on the forum. Don't expect your creation to be small or lightweight - mine is colossal, but then I rarely backpack any more!

Just make sure you take plenty of photos and let us know how it turned out.

ATB

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE