Underground ( Overground... )

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Does anyone know what the rules are regarding digging under ground? I'm assuming one could build say a root cellar with out notifying anyone but how about something , bigger... and deeper?

I don't mean going anywhere near current structure foundations - away from anything that has a building etc.

Any knowledge?

The Frightful

Apr 21, 2020
Essex
I would have thought that at the very least you would require building regs. Permitted development above ground requires no planning if it is deemed as a temporary structure less than 15m2 in England, not sure on rest of UK. Eg a garden office/room and is non habitable. A sub terrainian structure probably wouldn't fall into the temporary category. I am by no means an expert but have been a Builder some 45 yrs. Tbh if i had the land available with the ability to maintain total secrecy and of course the funds, i would just do it anyway. Still follow building regs re underground buildings services etc and goes without saying follow detailed Engineers plans for structural integrity

grainweevil

Forager
Feb 18, 2023
Cornwall
Ack, these misleading thread titles recently. First there's making a solar system that involves no big bang or anything astronomical at all, and then I come here and no-one's wombling free anywhere! P'shaw. :down:

• Haha
Reactions: Chris and TeeDee

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I can't help much with planning, you could ask your local planning dept but in my experience they will ask you to submit even when it's not needed. I would go down the keep it quiet route. It can also depend on where you live, we're in an AONB which means they want planning apps for anything larger than a birds nest.

One thing, what's your ground water like? Will you have a pond rather than a root store?

Reactions: TeeDee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE