Uncontacted tribe found in Brasil

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
You forgot to mention Western missionaries. I did my dissertation on this very topic during my masters in social anthropology.

Sadly it is often the case that the bearers of prosletyzation are the first regular western contacts for many remote tribes, engaging in a systematic cultural/cosmological deconstruction and cultural assymilation.

The old excuse of planned assymilation/healthcare/education to justify some of it doesn't convince me it's right. Who are we to impose our will/beliefs/cultural values on anyone else? Grrrrrrrrrrr rant over! :soapbox:

Arrrgghh There be a lot o' long words there - we're nowt but humble pirates!:lmao: I went to scumbag college - UP SCUMBAG!

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
This is a great thread, I'm enjoying every post.

BTW Tengu, if you come traipsing naked through my woods, you can be sure I'll be pointing my bow and arrows at you! Ger off moi laaaahnd :D

MikaelMazz

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2007
The United States Of America
Tengu, You are the uneducated one. I dont care how smart you think you are, your knowage eqates to nothing in their enviroment. You would not live a week in their jungle without being completly deterioated.
It is the attitude like yours that forced my people onto reservations, killed countless numbers and stool our freedom. If it was not for that atitude I may have been living off the land today and I would not have to read books to gain my wilderness living skills because my parents would have taught me. And I would have been better off.
No body is pointing arrows at you any how. These people most likely do not even comprehend that there are people in the helicopter. And juging by what happened to other indiginous peoples around the world they have all the right to point arrows at outsiders.
And Please tell me how you think that these people are not good a bushcraft because I cannot understand how you would think that.
These people are the origins of your bushcraft knowlage. Mind your own business and leave these people alone.

Mikael

Nicolas

Forager
Jun 2, 2008
Dublin
Tengu, You are the uneducated one. I dont care how smart you think you are, your knowage eqates to nothing in their enviroment. You would not live a week in their jungle without being completly deterioated.
It is the attitude like yours that forced my people onto reservations, killed countless numbers and stool our freedom. If it was not for that atitude I may have been living off the land today and I would not have to read books to gain my wilderness living skills because my parents would have taught me. And I would have been better off.
No body is pointing arrows at you any how. These people most likely do not even comprehend that there are people in the helicopter. And juging by what happened to other indiginous peoples around the world they have all the right to point arrows at outsiders.
And Please tell me how you think that these people are not good a bushcraft because I cannot understand how you would think that.
These people are the origins of your bushcraft knowlage. Mind your own business and leave these people alone.

Mikael

How long do you think they could survive in "our" asphalt jungles?

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
no clearer message can be sent than to point a weapon at someone!!!
Tengu, stop winding people up some dont have a sense of irony or humour.

Did anyone see the sub plot in deliverance where the "educated" outside world imposed a hydro dam on a recently contacted social group of rednecks and they then took it out on these outsiders while on a recreational bushcraft canoe trip? Amazing stuff. I'm with the rednecks on this one but even though their sexual practices shock me, I repsect their right to have autonomy in their kinship systems without imposing my own values on them. :lmao:

I'm gonna make you squeal like a pig. Weeeeeeee :yikes:

:headbang:

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Goodness me what happened to this thread?!!
Missionaries = Cultural anhialation . It should be illegal. Everywhere.

Nakedness - Its natural. Its normal. Children brought up with nudist parents have much lower rates of eating disorders, depression and poor body image as teenagers. Communities that are relaxed with nudity generally have lower rates of violent sexual conduct and sexual disorders. It should be Legal. Everywhere.

well thats my s*** stirring , er opinion anyway :D

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
You forgot to mention Western missionaries. I did my dissertation on this very topic during my masters in social anthropology.

Sadly it is often the case that the bearers of prosletyzation are the first regular western contacts for many remote tribes, engaging in a systematic cultural/cosmological deconstruction and cultural assymilation.

The old excuse of planned assymilation/healthcare/education to justify some of it doesn't convince me it's right. Who are we to impose our will/beliefs/cultural values on anyone else? Grrrrrrrrrrr rant over! :soapbox:

Hmm, you might have done a dissertation on this subject but it doesn't mean you are correct in your conclusions.

The fact that you wrote this strongly worded post (and you've mentioned it in other threads) shows that you are just as guilty of trying to convince us of your own opinion as anybody else is. Are missionaries, of whatever faith, more guilty than traders and others with vested financial interests or conquerors? Is your opinion more valid than the beliefs and work of missionaries and most of all is it doing more good to tribal communities?

Oh and Tengu certainly isn't a diplomat but you ought to try and read between the lines of what is being written instead of getting so indignant.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE