Uncontacted tribe found in Brasil

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
You forgot to mention Western missionaries. I did my dissertation on this very topic during my masters in social anthropology.

Sadly it is often the case that the bearers of prosletyzation are the first regular western contacts for many remote tribes, engaging in a systematic cultural/cosmological deconstruction and cultural assymilation.

The old excuse of planned assymilation/healthcare/education to justify some of it doesn't convince me it's right. Who are we to impose our will/beliefs/cultural values on anyone else? Grrrrrrrrrrr rant over! :soapbox:

Totally agree w00dsmoke, proselytisation is IMO the most evil and insidious "civilised" practise going though Western missionaries can't be singled out, the followers of many faiths have engaged in it at one time or another and some still do.

Totally agree w00dsmoke, proselytisation is IMO the most evil and insidious "civilised" practise going though Western missionaries can't be singled out, the followers of many faiths have engaged in it at one time or another and some still do.

I think in this context they can indeed be singled out Andy. It is only western missionaries that have engaged in this systematic cultural deconstruction within the Amazon Basin.

Although Globally, I would whole heartedly agree with you that there are innumerable examples of non-western prosletization...but hey that's one heck of a can of worms!

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
The thing that struck me (apart from their choice of make up) is the bows raised in defence. Just goes to show how universal a tool it is and probably always has been.

Is that RM creeping into the bushes at 'one O clock'...;)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
They are probably a bunch of uneducated ruffians and so not worth knowing.

But they do deserve to be treated as people and not animals, this means some sort of education.

Nicolas

Forager
Jun 2, 2008
Dublin
They are probably a bunch of uneducated ruffians and so not worth knowing.

But they do deserve to be treated as people and not animals, this means some sort of education.

Yeah I hear you, I think they are pretty much savages and should be re-educated and settled down, some outskirts of the Brazilian "housing" project should do the trick.
Sometimes you need to force people to help them.

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Yeah I hear you, I think they are pretty much savages and should be re-educated and settled down, some outskirts of the Brazilian "housing" project should do the trick.
Sometimes you need to force people to help them.

Whats wrong with leaving them alone,theve obviously looked after there selves well enough for this long,and i dont think they need us poking our noses in,only my opinion.

Bernie

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
So when a savage comes to me and tells me, Ive got it all wrong, I should live naked in a jungle, because thats normal for most of human history, do I say I want to trade knowlege for ignorance?

Bear in mind that most primitive women are nobodies.

It get's better! :lmao:

Oh dear, this is for real! Tengu with the greatest of respect, please look up the meaning of ethnocentric and then look at your use of "savages".

Then try and connect the two and if you still can't see the light, well that kind of attitude can stay in the 1800's where it belongs.

There's a wee bit more inclusiveness and love in the world now :240:

Nicolas

Forager
Jun 2, 2008
Dublin
So you mean I should be more tolerant of people pointing loaded bows at me?

No.

Absolutely right, who are they anyways to point their sticks at us, the Brazilian Government should have send some of their Gunships for some well needed practice session.

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
Woodsmoke,

While I am aware of excesses by missionaries in the past, currently missionaries in Brazil can only work with indigenous people at the request of the tribe. If you violate that you will lose your religious workers visa, face deportation etc. If missionaries are working in a tribal area it is because the tribal leadership has decided that they are having a positive influence. Who are you to impose your will that they should be isolated from western influence when they have requested these people in the first place?

There is very little chance under current law that a missonary would go an make first contact with this tribe unless they were asked to be part of the team by FUNAI. I personally know missionaries who have buried their own children alongside the kids who died in the villages they were working in and they stayed because they were asked to stay.

While I don't speak for all western missionaries, I am one, working in a city of 4 million people. We have an open door policy, people can come in, people can go out. Mac

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE