Umbel ID (pics)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DMadden

Forager
Aug 31, 2009
South Shields
Hi, I'm finding it difficult to identify members of the Carrot family.
Could anyone give me some advice/help on this family please.

But to start off, whats this?..

It's beginning to grow to almost a metre, and as you may see it is covered in small hairs...

Thanks for looking,
Dan

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
At this time of year, with those flowers and leaves, this is almost certainly cow parsley (wild chervil). But don't rely on my identification! You probably know this already, but correct identification of umbellifers for edibility is crucial, with a number of highly poisonous plants.

Geoff :)

BushEd

Nomad
Aug 24, 2009
Herts./Finland
almost 100% sure its cow parsley - but if it has a solid rather than hollow stem, and smells like aniseed it might just be sweet cicely.

Suppose the only advice is a good field guide...i have the colins gem wild flower one, along with some bigger ones, seem to do the trick :D

Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
Cow Parsley.
I found hemlock the other day. It was round stemmed with purple spots and much shorter than the cow parsley, no fur and a lot shinier. I have also found and eaten pignut. That was much smaller and more delicate.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE