Ulu

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

moko

Forager
Apr 28, 2005
out there
Anyone know of a UK suppier for Ulus?. Traditional native style would be ideal but would consider modern take.

Thanks all.

Moko

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
Andrew sells the Roselli Ulus.

ros003fu.jpg

They're fine tools. Being necessarily cheap I got some made from Simonex saw blades which are thicker than optimal at 3/16" but excellent steel. Now I just have to find time to grind them, which is going to take a while even on a small belt grinder.
Schwert has some gorgeous ones which maybe he'll show.

KB1HZM

Sep 14, 2006
North Adams, MA USA
They are an awesome knife especialy for in the kitchen. Takes a little bit to get used to them tho but once you do they are great. mine is like the one in the video that stovie posted. I havent brought mine to the field havent found a use for it, just use it for cooking. Also most dont come with a sheath so you will have to make one for it.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I really recommend an Alaskan maker...Maynard Linder. His work is exceptional and real. The Roselli is not really an ulu if you ask me...way to thick. It is a mezzaluna...a nice one but a real ulu is what I would recommend.

Here are 3 of my Linder's

3ulu5504938.jpg

My favorite 8" Fish River in action

FRiverSausage5504950.jpg

This Fish River is my most used Kitchen knife. I could easily live with a paring knife and this ulu and toss all my others out.

I know Maynard is not a UK supplier but I highly recommend his work. You have to write to him, his address and more pictures etc are in my article.

http://outdoors-magazine.com/s_article.php?id_article=265

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I hope so Jim. I am always so sad when someone buys a Roselli and thinks they have an ulu. The mezzaluna is only good for mincing soft herbs as it is just too thick for slicing meats and cheeses, scraping under dough, gliding through crusty bread, and just about everything else you can think of.

Alaska and likely northern Canada are plagued by low quality stamped ulus for the tourist market too, the steel in them is again too thick and they are generally butter knife sharp.

Maynard knows what he is doing and his work is very reasonable. They sometimes list ulus on ebay under meriumdelerium (that may be missspelled but you get the drift). These are generally the smaller shop ulus not the larger ones. He uses thin saw steel (less than 1 mm) convexes the edge to a beautiful edge that is just a joy to use. The caribou or seacow or ivory etc is all collected around this time of the year up around Nome so Maynard may not be around for a while.

I highly recommend the 8" Fish River....I have handled a 6" and it is not anywhere near as useful. I am likely going to order a 10" version sometime.

I also much prefer the Fish River pattern over my Bristol Bay....initially the Bristol Bay handle was the dogs bollucks, but after getting it home it was too restrictive for my uses....especially a side rocking mince action that the Fish River shines at. I suspect this would be the case for some of the other wrap around handle types. I am also wanting a Canadian model with the T grip.

Please please no one buy a Roselli without at least trying out a real ulu. I think that Roselli is a beauty but other than mincing and scraping skins I cannot see it having any use other than decoration.

This really is my last word until I get back :)

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Well I am back but really this is it....

I generally do not pimp my articles too much but I think my ulu article (see link above) is one of my best ones. I will ask that anyone interested in an ulu at least read it before buying a Roselli. There are some interesting Canadian National History sites on the web with historical photos of Innuit and others First Peoples using ulus. The diversity of patterns across the North is a great interest to me. The degree to which deer, seals, fish, skins, played a role in these peoples lives is reflected in their ulu patterns and uses.

There is a wonderful book:

Sinews of Survival by Betty Kobayashi Issenman that looks at Innuit clothing....a wonderful read and of course the ulu is one of the important tools to the manufacture of these amazing designs.

OK....I guess I am a bit over the top now....off on holiday and good luck with whatever you buy.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Schwert

I noticed in your very informative and interesting article that you said...

"Maynard’s ulus are made with high carbon carpenter’s hand saw steel"

Now, does that mean that I could use one of the Bahco/Sandvik saws that I chuck away every month to make one?

Hmmm.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
demographic said:
Now, does that mean that I could use one of the Bahco/Sandvik saws that I chuck away every month to make one?

Hmmm.
Maynard only uses very old saws, usually 40-50 years old. He uses a Beverly shear to cut the saw blades, then grinds/sharpens the edge. He does not heat treat or mess with the temper. So, the quality of a knife you make this way would depend on the quality of the steel and original heat treat.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE