Ullfrotte Long Johns

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 13, 2007
NORTHANTS
I've been using the 200 gm Turtle neck Top for a while now and am so pleased with it that I'm thinking of investing in a pair of the Long Johns to go with it, especially as its getting a bit nippy out now. I can only assume that they will be as good as the Top but is anyone else using them? Also, anyone using the 400 gm " Jacket " as part of a system? I'm hoping with the Long Johns to be able to laugh off the odd shower on the strength of the "warm when damp" philosophy rather that resorting to getting the overtrousers out. Any thoughts, alternative recommendations most welcome.

Hi,

I love Ullfrotte gear:headbang:

I have 2 x 200g tops, 400g top,600g top, 400g socks and 400g mittens. This layering system, IMHO, can't be beaten and as I shall be spending most of the winter bushcrafting and bimbling it will be really put to the test. Bring on the cold weather :D

Think that the long johns will be spot on, like all their kit.

Phil.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Phil,

What are they like for sizing? I usually have to buy stuff a size too big to get the arms / legs long enough, but I'm under the impression that base layers need to be a tight fit against your skin to work effectively ??

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I only have a top. Superb top it is and I can only imagine that the longs would also be quite nice. This stuff is a bit too thick for me to use out here much, but when I want a nice second layer over a thinner wool base this top is one of my favorite choices.

I do not like skin tight base layers and have never felt that wool base layers needed to be tight to work.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
...I'm under the impression that base layers need to be a tight fit against your skin to work effectively ??

I believe that it’s the synthetic, ‘wicking’ type of base-layer that needs to be in contact with the skin for it to work correctly.

As I understand it, a ‘wicking’ garment needs to be in intimate contact with the skin with no air gaps between the skin and fabric so that moisture (particularly sweat) can efficiently be carried away from the skin’s surface, through to the surface of the base-layer fabric, which is then evaporated away from that outer surface of the base-layer fabric by body heat, and into the next layer of clothing. In turn, the moisture passes through that mid-layer, and eventually through the outer-layer (windproof shell and/or breathable waterproof shell).

Obviously, I’m using a three/four layer system as an example only, a layer system could consist of more or fewer layers.

Best regards,
Paul.

Phil,

What are they like for sizing? I usually have to buy stuff a size too big to get the arms / legs long enough, but I'm under the impression that base layers need to be a tight fit against your skin to work effectively ??

I got the 200g base layers as quite tight fitting and the others are just the best fit I could manage mate.

Sorry not to have better info.

Phil.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
It seems the Ullfrotte base-layer should be a close fit:
http://www.woolpower.se/en/asp/produkter_1.asp

Sizing:
http://www.woolpower.se/en/asp/produkter_1.asp

UK distributor:
http://www.woolpower.se/en/asp/info_uk.asp
As these people (Sub-Zero Boots) are the UK distributor, you could email them for a retailer(s) near to your physical location. If you can't find a shop that’s convenient you (hard to believe with that bike :)) could measure yourself and ask an online retailer to measure the garments.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I love my 200g Ullfrotte top and bottoms, wear them all day when out in the colder half of the year, sleep in them too. Under a pair of light trousers have found them warm but not too warm and still comfortable when the trousers are wet from a brief shower. Am thinking the same as you and contemplating the 400g top for layering - use fleece at the mo' but wanting to switch.

May 13, 2007
NORTHANTS
Many thanks for your input on this one guys, its been a great help. Bikething, If you could post your vital statistics on the forum I'm sure between us we could work out what sizes you need :D I take a medium, Phil is taller and bigger than me and must be a large.The mittens and the hat, can you get them in the uk? may as well go for the full set :rolleyes:

Phil, I reckon Ullfrotte should be paying you commision mate ;)
Thanks again.
Steve

Many thanks for your input on this one guys, its been a great help. Bikething, If you could post your vital statistics on the forum I'm sure between us we could work out what sizes you need :D I take a medium, Phil is taller and bigger than me and must be a large.The mittens and the hat, can you get them in the uk? may as well go for the full set :rolleyes:

Phil, I reckon Ullfrotte should be paying you commision mate ;)
Thanks again.
Steve

LOL.

I am a large - just checked my 600g.

As for commision that would be great!! I just love their kit and have used it in the heat of summer as a base layer and it beats IMHO anything - it seems to allow body heat out when the weather is warm and keeps the heat in when the weather is cold. They wash in the machine well - my 200g tops get washed twice a week, they look good and not out of keeping like some of the merino tops you might use for "breaking ice" ;)

Top quality garments and money well spent IMHO.

Hope they suit you Sir :cool:

Phil.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE