UKHammocks T/UQ (Summer fill) Opinions?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
What madness is this? over 200 quid for insulation in a hammock a simple closed cell mat will work just as well; weigh less ;be less bulky and you will have loads of money to spend on proper kit and getting out

Sorry but I disagree on all points. Yes it may weight slightly less but it doesnt pack down as well and certainly doesnt perform as well.

I've tried mats and also a Themrarest Neoair as well as a cheap tesco down mat underneath, They do keep some cold spots from back but not sides. A quilt packs down very small just like a down bag, weights very little and goes all way round back and sides.

[edit] I may actually give the Thermarest Z Lite Sol a go for time being and spend coin on a new Blackbird or Woodsman X instead, thnx for the link ;)

Last edited:

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
What madness is this? over 200 quid for insulation in a hammock a simple closed cell mat will work just as well; weigh less ;be less bulky and you will have loads of money to spend on proper kit and getting out

Obviously if you this you cant have much experience with insulation. Down has been and will remain the best way for all round insulation. I have the winter uq&tq from uk hammocks and to be honest I sweat like no tomorrow. We have had a really mild winter this year and I reckon my set up will go down to -15/20c and be kinda still warm. Can't say that for any roll mats I've so far seen as of yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Obviously if you this you cant have much experience with insulation. Down has been and will remain the best way for all round insulation. I have the winter uq&tq from uk hammocks and to be honest I sweat like no tomorrow. We have had a really mild winter this year and I reckon my set up will go down to -15/20c and be kinda still warm. Can't say that for any roll mats I've so far seen as of yet.

Sorry but I disagree on all points. Yes it may weight slightly less but it doesnt pack down as well and certainly doesnt perform as well.

I've tried mats and also a Themrarest Neoair as well as a cheap tesco down mat underneath, They do keep some cold spots from back but not sides. A quilt packs down very small just like a down bag, weights very little and goes all way round back and sides.

[edit] I may actually give the Thermarest Z Lite Sol a go for time being and spend coin on a new Blackbird or Woodsman X instead, thnx for the link ;)

Don't rise to the bait lads :)

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Big question for you guys.
I'm about to order a top quilt from them. How much down do I need? I will be using this quilt with a wide inflating pad (65cm, 4cm thick), I would like to be able to use it 3 season (boosting it with clothes when needed) so down to +5 (lowest during 2013 Moot was +7). Also during summer in the tent with my girlfriend.
I have some experience with RAB down bags, 300g wasn't enough for me, 500g was just right (600 fill power).
So should I order it with extra down? (standard is 350g)...

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
He is selling WINTER quilt with extra 100g of down. That's almost 1 kilo of goodness that will take you down to -20 or even -30 C... If I had the money for 2 or three quilts I would be PMing shewie in a blink. But:
1. I wan't it custom size.
2. They have a sale on 20th..

I just need to figure out how much down I need...

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
He is selling WINTER quilt with extra 100g of down. That's almost 1 kilo of goodness that will take you down to -20 or even -30 C... If I had the money for 2 or three quilts I would be PMing shewie in a blink. But:

Ah, sorry. Didn't read the small print.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Big question for you guys.
I'm about to order a top quilt from them. How much down do I need? I will be using this quilt with a wide inflating pad (65cm, 4cm thick), I would like to be able to use it 3 season (boosting it with clothes when needed) so down to +5 (lowest during 2013 Moot was +7). Also during summer in the tent with my girlfriend.
I have some experience with RAB down bags, 300g wasn't enough for me, 500g was just right (600 fill power).
So should I order it with extra down? (standard is 350g)...

I would go for a 100g overfill. As mentioned by mountainm Shewie is selling a TQ with the overfill and its likely priced less then what will be in sale. Plus if you place order in UKH sale it will be probably the full 3 weeks before you get it because of order backlog.

With regards to your pad, have you tested this outdoors in your hammocks yet? I have tried a NeoAir inflating mat combined with a cheap down bag in my bottom layer of hammock and just couldn't keep my lower back/sides warm enough. That is why I have opted to go for a UQ.

lathe dog

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2010
Middlesex
I'm still a comparative noob when it comes to hammock camping but I've got the bug, and I'm looking at getting out more this year and ditching the tent for the hammock, I decided to bite the bullet and upgrade to Mat's quilts with a summer 2/3 UQ + 100g overfill and a summer TQ + 50g overfill.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
I would go for a 100g overfill. As mentioned by mountainm Shewie is selling a TQ with the overfill and its likely priced less then what will be in sale. Plus if you place order in UKH sale it will be probably the full 3 weeks before you get it because of order backlog.

With regards to your pad, have you tested this outdoors in your hammocks yet? I have tried a NeoAir inflating mat combined with a cheap down bag in my bottom layer of hammock and just couldn't keep my lower back/sides warm enough. That is why I have opted to go for a UQ.

I have used it with my DD, worked ok although the bottom of the hammock was dampish, not sure yet was it because waterproof nylon or the pad. No problem with cold shoulders as I'm a big bloke and I always buy the biggest pad available (my current one is 197cm x 65cm). Also I'm mostly a side sleeper and always wear at least a tshirt or something with long sleeves to bed. Keep in mind I haven't hammocked below +5C yet and when you are above +10C it is really hard to get cold, as long as you have some insulation above and underneath you your body will adjust/compensate.

I want to get my top quilt right as this will be my central item of insulation: top quilt for 3 seasons in the hammock and on the ground or in a tent with my girlfriend.
Bottom insulation for 3 seasons is a secondary concern for me as I'm quite ok with a shaped ccf pad (before), my exped self inflating pad (now) or recycled in to UQ sleeping bag (future).
If I decide to winter camp in my hammock I will use my top quilt with a peapod type contraption "Shug style" (Mat said he can make something like that).

I'm not yet ready for the UQ;
1. Can't give up the ground option the way I do outdoor at the moment (camp sites when going out with friends/girlfriend, or walk till I drop in Wales where treese are rather rare).
2. I got the tarpology all figured out from my ground dwelling time and last year with DD hammock. So now I will be learning diagonal lay, SRL, suspention etc on my new Woodsman X. UQ, peapods and winter hammocking I leave for the future as a next level.

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton

I have the winter tq and it is absolutely boiling up until now. Honestly I'd go for something like a extra over fill on a summer quilt would be pretty good (winter you would need to dress more) but it would get you by all year round more or less.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
I was thinking 400g (summer TQ with 50g overfill) and some clothing if needed so it would be good to +5. For any lower I will be getting other stuff.

ollyboyd

Dec 2, 2013
Scotland
what does the HG UQ cost with delivery and import fees??

I dont know how to work out import costs.

The UK import fees will be 20% VAT plus duty of about 5-8%, plus processing fee of around £10 for brokering your parcel through customs. The VAT is on top of everything.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've got $1500 worth of kit in my cart on the Seek Outside website, the only thing delaying me pulling the trigger is the heavy VAT bill at this end.

ollyboyd

Dec 2, 2013
Scotland
I think your worst possible outcome is a £266 bill, a bit more if the $1500 doesn't include p&p. Pound is at its strongest against the dollar for about 4 years :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE