UKHammocks T/UQ (Summer fill) Opinions?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
I'm considering getting a UQ and possibly TQ (Or just use my down bag as TQ) and was wondering if anybody here has the summer fill quilts from UKHammocks and what their verdicts are on comfort, temperature wise as I was thinking of using them all year round as modular approach, ie in conjunction with a softie suit if needed.

I'm not sure what temperature was this weekend in west Yorkshire but it was bloody cold. I seemed to do ok in hammock, even when wind was blowing through. I was using a Xero 350 as sleeping bag and then a Thermarest NeoAir+Tesco Mummy Down bag in bottom layer of hammock and it wasn't too bad except for my sides so I'm thinking a summer fill bag may do the trick.

So is anybody a cold **** like me and seems to feel cold easily but can get along with these quilts in UK?

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
I've got the 3/4 length uq, that I asked Mat to increase in length to 170cm, I've been fine down to 1 deg (haven't been out lower than that yet) but found that the sag was a little too much. This meant I had to keep adjusting the uq when I moved to avoid cold spots. Others have suggested adding stronger bungee cord, which I've yet to do, but will get around to, as it should alleviate the cold spot issue. In sheltered areas I think you should be fine but you might want to ask Mat to increase the uq length for versatility.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Thanks for the reply/advice bud. My legs/feet are usually snug so think the length should be ok for me. If I order I think I'll ask Matt to use stronger cord if possible though as I tend to move about a bit. I have a new superfly tarp which has doors so that should help a lot with cool air blowing through.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
For general 3 season use in the UK, 1.5-2" of loft of down in an underquilt should be about right. I use a shorter quilt generally, only on full blown winter trips does my full length UQ come out to play.

The doors help massively but won't eliminate draughts. An UQ rain protector or a underquilt with integral draught collars will provide a large boost to warmth.

3mm shock cord just isn't strong enough, needs to be 4 or 5mm. 3mm struggles top keep my 300g quilt suspended.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
For general 3 season use in the UK, 1.5-2" of loft of down in an underquilt should be about right. I use a shorter quilt generally, only on full blown winter trips does my full length UQ come out to play.

The doors help massively but won't eliminate draughts. An UQ rain protector or a underquilt with integral draught collars will provide a large boost to warmth.

3mm shock cord just isn't strong enough, needs to be 4 or 5mm. 3mm struggles top keep my 300g quilt suspended.

Have you tried UQ clips before, wouldn't they help a great deal with sag in conjunction with the cords?

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I just wouldnt buy a summer weight quilt from uk hammocks. The fact they are not darted (shaped) means the quilt will never properly fit your form in a hammock. Yes, you can sinch it up really tight on beefier elastic but this can affect the loft too. The winter quilt has got so much down in that it gets over this issue for the most part. Getting the HG UQ was a real eye opener for me in terms of what UQ design should be. No disrespect to Matt, hes a great guy but he needs to evolve the design to keep up with the market. Better design means less down for same warmth in a smaller pack size. The HG also has down baffles running across the ends which completely eliminate air movement.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
I just wouldnt buy a summer weight quilt from uk hammocks. The fact they are not darted (shaped) means the quilt will never properly fit your form in a hammock. Yes, you can sinch it up really tight on beefier elastic but this can affect the loft too. The winter quilt has got so much down in that it gets over this issue for the most part. Getting the HG UQ was a real eye opener for me in terms of what UQ design should be. No disrespect to Matt, hes a great guy but he needs to evolve the design to keep up with the market. Better design means less down for same warmth in a smaller pack size. The HG also has down baffles running across the ends which completely eliminate air movement.

Only problem with ordering from HG would be postage and duty costs though :(

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I didnt get hit for duty (YMMV) but yes the postage is a kicker. Id buy it again in a flash though. Worth every bean! Ive had it down to -7 with the burrow 20 TQ and was lovely and snug. What hammock do you use? I have a blackbird and the HG suspension is tunable so i have it longer on the footbox side and shorter on the side where my feet aren't. V clever although i expect you could Mod a UKH one in the same way.

Ill be selling my UKH Winter UQ when im back from Norway middle of next month if you dont get one from Shewie first :)

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
I didnt get hit for duty (YMMV) but yes the postage is a kicker. Id buy it again in a flash though. Worth every bean! Ive had it down to -7 with the burrow 20 TQ and was lovely and snug. What hammock do you use? I have a blackbird and the HG suspension is tunable so i have it longer on the footbox side and shorter on the side where my feet aren't. V clever although i expect you could Mod a UKH one in the same way.

Ill be selling my UKH Winter UQ when im back from Norway middle of next month if you dont get one from Shewie first :)

Currently I have a DD Travel Hammock (Waterproof/bivi) but I have been looking at getting the Blackbird.

Which HG UQ do you have?

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
I have the full length winter uq from Matt. Works well for but I do sleep warm

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Not the best pic but it sits real nice. i have lots more overlap up the side of the hammock with the UKH quilt as i have to string it realy tight. Consequently the edge of the quilt impedes my view out lol

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
I have one of UK Hammocks TQ's, it is a cracker. I agree with Bare though, if you can afford the extra, get a HG UQ.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
what does the HG UQ cost with delivery and import fees??

I dont know how to work out import costs.

£206.68 with 4 oz over stuff was what i paid and i got lucky on customs. If you were to get charged at customs i would estimate about 50 quid which is VAT + parcelforce fee. Should not be any duty

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
What madness is this? over 200 quid for insulation in a hammock a simple closed cell mat will work just as well; weigh less ;be less bulky and you will have loads of money to spend on proper kit and getting out

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
What madness is this? over 200 quid for insulation in a hammock a simple closed cell mat will work just as well; weigh less ;be less bulky and you will have loads of money to spend on proper kit and getting out

Thats not really correct sadly. CCF does not breath so you get moisture build up in your hammock. Ill wager my quilt packs a lot smaller than a ccf mat and ill wager a ccf mat wont keep me as warm as a quilt.

If it works for you then thats great. Id be interested to hear what proper kit is though :)

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Yea i own a zlite, going to Norway with me next week. The quilt goes down to less than half of its size. Im not saying anyone should spend a fortune on a quilt but they are far more effective than a simple ccf mat but a mat will work in a pinch. If im away for a week or more i dont want to make do with something that just scrapes by, i want comfort

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE