UK Match Sized K&M Match Safe

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Because it wasn't costing me real money I had a pal in the US source me a standard sized Aluminium match safe specifically for me to cut down to take the 2inch long strike anywhere kitchen matches I prefer.

I have the brass standard and long match safes, the larger lives in my Response Pak with some long lifeboat matches and maya wood splints I got and the standard in my pocket when I knew I was going to definately use matches while pottering about. However at 80 gms empty with the other stuff I carry it was a bit much for EDC. So I have taken 12 mm off of the standard aluminium job and it now weighs 28gm empty, fits what I want to have in it perfectly and is that little bit less bulky.

3KMmatchsafes.jpg

It was a doddle to cut down. After carefully measuring the depth (be warned the inside base is curved so measure it at the edge and allowing for the depth of the cap it turned out it was 13mm too long for the matches i wanted to carry. I then set a bog standard wood marking gauge for 12 mm and rotated the matchcase against the scribing part until a groove was left all the way round. I then used a fine saw (a modelling bone saw as it happens) to cut all the way round. I finished off with a sanding block, test fitting the cap until the matches hardly rattled when shook. You do need to move the knot on the cord that acts as a stop so twisting the cap tensions the cords corectly to force the cap on.

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE