UK issue Goretex bivvys - a quick question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

listenclear

Nomad
Aug 19, 2008
East lothian
Hi guys,
This is probably a stoopid question but just wondering if in theory you could sleep in one of these through the rain. I know they are waterproof but does that include the head end as well?
Been looking at pictures but i cant seem to make out what is going on at the head end.
Cheers in advance - once again

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Mmm...I suppose they should be. Depends on whether it's been properly looked after and waterproofed. Not sure I'd trust it myself. I'd be inclined to put a tarp up as well and then all will be fine.

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
I'd trust them in terms of waterproofness (as long as there's no holes or anything) but like Shewie said a tarp or poncho's a good idea with a basic bivy like that - will keep you far more comfortable if ( / when) the rain starts since you won't have to worrying about twisting the bag around. Alternatively you could build yourself a small lean-to or find something to that effect, anything really to stop your doss bag getting wet while you get in, and somewhere with a bit of shelter to cook in in the morning

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
I have slept in them when there was no option of a tarp and it is an uncomfortable experience. Rain finds its way into the head end and if you go completely under the bag condensation (and suffocation) can be a problem!

Sussex Man

Jul 14, 2008
Robertsbridge
Hi, I must say I rate them, I once spent a night in one in a shallow stream with no sleeping bag about 0deg C. I was fine,(it didn't leak at all- not a dribble) then when let out into civvy st. i took mine with me, I used it at the top of Toubkal (sp) in Morroco, when i lent my sleeping bag to one of our party (she was cold) It is the earlier version in og, i wash it with tech wash then proof it everytime with wash-in proof, then spray the seams with spray on stuff. It has never leaked- even in a stream, if it starts to rain i gather the hood right over my head and turn on my side- breathing through a gap of about 5am dia. It doesn't bother me !

harryhaller

Settler
Dec 3, 2008
Bruxelles, Belgium
The german army doesn't use goretex in their bivis apparently - they use 67% Polyester and 33% Polyamid.

Does anyone know how that compares to goretex? I have the choice to buy the one or the other - a British Army Goretex or a German Army Polyester/Polyamid sleeping bag cover (aka bivi) - the german army ones are more expensive.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I to would have no worries recomending the issued bivvie, i just spent saturday night out in mine with while out on my bike, lashing storm rain and high winds sleeping by the road on the isle of seil, dry as a bone in the morning it would have been a great nights sleep if i haddnt packed my wifes issued sleepbag insted of mine, couldn't even fit my shoulders in, one quick application of a swandri and i was toasty.i would say the only draw back is the opening as the only way of totaly stopping any rain either from above or rebounding of the ground is to hold or tie it closed but the moisture builds up, keeping the drawstring inside to use as a bailing sponge worked well though.still quite cheap and very effective imho.

peds8045

Sep 4, 2005
Telford, Shropshire
Used them in all weather when i was in the Army. The main thing to remember is that although they are 'breathable' they do not make for human breathing when they are sealed up, if you have the draw cord pulled tight shut you will suffocate. I once woke up in a panic not able to breath properly (you only do it once) and it was a mad few seconds until i managed to find the small opening where i could suck the air in.:lmao:

Other than that they are pretty much the dogs testicles even in heavy rain.:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE