UK Boomershoot 2007

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
FIRST UK HIGH-EXPLOSIVE (‘REACTIVE TARGET’) SHOOT

After lengthy and detailed negotiations with both Kent County Council and the MOD, this office is delighted to announce the date for the UK's inaugural "BOOMERSHOOT" challenge. To minimise the impact of exploding dynamite-loaded targets, great care has been taken in choosing a suitable location. Blessed with an undulating terrain that is simply perfect for 'getting above' a target (one loaded with no-less than 50lb of high explosive), your committee had no hesitation in choosing the beautiful setting of Knole Park. This historic and ground-breaking shoot will be held on Saturday 31/04/07. Blast off will be 08-30hrs sharp!

For those unfamiliar with the course of fire, our rules and, of course, critical field-firing safety arrangements please see below:

1. Explosive will be positioned at exactly 750 yards. The distance has been chosen with some care and cunning.

2. The detonator (your aiming mark) will be just 24mm in diameter.

3. The firing point will be a grassy knoll to the West of the park

4. Cost of entry is £30.00 for a series of 15 (fifteen) rounds. Entry includes a free BBQ sponsored by a local organic farm.

5. You may use any rifle & scope combination up to .50 cal and, if Firearms Certificate permissions permit, "expanding ammunition".

6. Ear defenders and shooting glasses will be worn by all. This to include spectators who will receive complementary examples from Peltor and Swarovski Optik UK.

7. The winner will be the person to connect with the least number of shots. We hope it will be necessary for an end of day “shoot-off” to decide the outright winner. The judge’s decision will be final.

8. No entry without first producing a valid master UK Firearms Certificate. A "copy" will not be acceptable.

9. Knole Park is a popular local amenity. The greatest of care will therefore be taken to ensure public safety. Our sport has no further need of bad press so please avoid the shooting of dogs that may stray from their owners. Golfers are far easier to spot but are known to stray into the rough with equal regularity. Fallow & Sika deer parade throughout the park and whilst the odd fatality is inevitable we remind you that all animal parts remain the property of the Sackville-West Estate. Members of the British Deer Society will be on hand to cull anything 'interesting' as is their want.

11. Please note this is not, as you would anticipate, an NRA sanctioned event, although considerable interest has been shown by the media including BBC Television. There will be many local spectators so whilst we have no objection to the wearing of camouflaged clothing, we do though discourage what is best described as SWAT-style outfits. Similarly, the wearing of tee-shirts bearing legends such as: "Go ahead punk - make my day", are not thought helpful.

Demand is sure to be high for this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity so arrive early. Tickets can only be purchased on the day and squading will be on a first come first served basis.

Plenty of free parking will be available either along the East boundary fence or within the National Trust car park:

Knole Park
Sevenoaks
Kent
TN27 0RP

Good luck!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
This has to be some sort of wind up surely?

I wish it wasn't as I would love to have a go!

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Too Much Kit To Carry said:
I was even checking my diary to see if I was free for the 31st :lmao:
Phil.

You should worry - I was out practicing this morning!

441892140_85aa6dafa8.jpg

:D

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its a Steyr Scout mate - a handy little rifle but actually I'd take one of the others for 750 yards :eek:

The glass is a mil dot 3-9 Leupold precision with target turrets, sunshade and Leupold covers. It was a bit of an extravagance but this has been my first new rifle in 5 years so I did it "right". Up to 300 metres its a tack driver although this one is in .223 Rem so it falls off fast after that. I'm toying with a .243 in the same config as it would make a cracking deer rifle

Red

British Red said:
Its a Steyr Scout mate - a handy little rifle but actually I'd take one of the others for 750 yards :eek:

The glass is a mil dot 3-9 Leupold precision with target turrets, sunshade and Leupold covers. It was a bit of an extravagance but this has been my first new rifle in 5 years so I did it "right". Up to 300 metres its a tack driver although this one is in .223 Rem so it falls off fast after that. I'm toying with a .243 in the same config as it would make a cracking deer rifle

Red

Don't tell me you have as many rifles as you do axes? :lmao:

Nice looking piece of kit mate and the scope looks a treat ;)

So after 300m the projectile starts to drop?

Would a .243 have a greater range to the .223?

I've not really used sporting rifles, did a lot of .22 target rifle and full bore pistol shooting.

Do you think my .25 BSA Lightening air rifle would be ok for Klench's Boomershoot? Perhaps he could let me have a go at 30 meters? :p

Phil.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yeah, the .223 would still be very dangerous beyond that range but its losing accuracy and velocity. It also suffers from wind drift as it slows - its only a 55-80gr round. My .303 uses a 200gr round and a lot more powder. .243 is a smaller projectile fired from a necked down .308 cartridge - its a nice deer round. The roughly 6mm size is favoured by accuracy shooters as a great compromise between power and recoil. Its a good all round UK deer cartridge - as is the .308 but a littles too much on Roe in some ways.

Quite a bit of pistol shooting happening today...black powder revolver and flintlock...lovely historical things, but I won't bung up pictures since it might not be seen to be too "bushcrafty". Good fun to shoot though :D

Red

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I guess for this ever to have been more than an April fool stunt that caught more than one or two members it would have required the services of a dedicated 24hr thread Moderator who could delete and archive each response (at least those questioning the event’s validity) at the moment of posting and then reinstate on April 2nd. Clearly this was never going to be possible - mores the pity! :sulkoff:

Ah well, there is always next year! :D

Cheers
Ps: Other than the date of this event I felt there were a few other clues to the wind-up! That said I still might patrol the park on the nearest day to or after April 31st!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE