UK army sleeping bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bumblebee

Nomad
May 27, 2005
Here and there
Hi,

Which one of these UK ex-army sleeping bags would you recommended if the price is the same: 58 Pattern Sleeping Bag or Current Issue Sleep System? Both? None? I found them for a very attractive price online and since I just moved to the UK I have no knowledge about them.

I am 186cm tall (~6ft 2in) and plan to use it mid spring to mid autumn.

mercury

Forager
Jan 27, 2004
East Yorkshire England
Well the 58 pattern bag is down filled and has a waterproof base

The "new " issue bag is some sort of hollowfill and is known to some troops as the bouncing bomb

both are big both are heavy , the 58 pattern bags may have some down replacemnet needed

If you have a 58 bag then you can use it in conjunction with a british army poncho to create a waterproof cover

But having said that they are both warm and well made

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Both bags are fairly good as long as they are in good condition, they are quite bulky if your carrying them any distance and the new issue bag can be a bit warm for my liking.

Brian

OhCanada

Forager
Feb 26, 2005
Eastern Canada
Don't know how popular they are over there but...

There is an item called a vapour barrier liner that is either nylon coated with polyurathane or the newer Sil/nylon material. I have the slightly heavier and cheaper nylon-coat as it came in a forest green while the Silnylon is a bright blue.

The idea is to use it inside your bag on sub-zero temps. Can be clammy above 0. I like the green cause in a pinch I can put it over my bag for a waterproof cover when I am more concerned about the massive amounts of water coming down than I am about the little bit of water that is rising up off my body. Either useage, it provides a few (some say 5-10) degrees of warmth.

Bumblebee

Nomad
May 27, 2005
Here and there
Thanks for the info! For £20 each in grade 1 condition they seem to be excellent value for money. The size/weight doesn't bother me much since I am going paddling.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
if you are buying a uk military bag make sure you get a long one. the bags come in medium and long sizes. medium will only come up to your chest. you don't want to waste money on a bag you can't use 'cause it's too short.

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
mate dont buy the 58 pattern bag as they are the crappest bags on the market. firstly they havent been issued for over 10 years so if you do get one it will have lost all its feathers!
the current issue bags are ok but bloody heavy as most of my mates and me in the army have went out and brought bags from snugpack etc as they are much much lighter.

Jjv110

Forager
May 22, 2005
Jersey C.I.
Yeah, I'd go for a current issue bag as well. As has been said, both are heavy and bulky and take up a lot of room in your bergen. The current issue is more comfortable and more roomy . I'm sure that if you buy a '58, all the feathers will be poking out of the material and will probably be too short, even if it says "long " on it.
The newer ones are better in the wet and very hard wearing, they have pockets on the inside, or outside if you prefer to use it inside-out, like some used to do.
If they are a good price, then go for it, otherwise for approx £80.00, you could buy a much lighter, smaller civvy bag that packs down to nothing and is easily warm enough, which is what I'd do.

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
New issue all the way. The old feather one has no side baffles so the feathers can migrate from on top to the side.
The new one-if weight is not a consideration-is a roomy, comfy, untechnical, warm bag that you can wear with boots if need be and not get upset if you trash it.

leon-1

I like the older 58 pattern bags, they actually pack down smaller than the new issue ones, but if there is a chance of it getting wet go for a synthetic bag.

The new bags are warm, I used them in South Georgia with very little problem, they have mesh pockets in them which get used for everything from holding rations to drying out your socks. They have a half length zip which runs down the middle and a baffle with velcro to avoid cold spots. The down side as every one will mention, is the fact that they are large even when compressed in the compression sack and of course they are heavy.

You should be able to fit one in a large canoe bag :D

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
I use a 58 pattern in the UK, they are not the best bags as they are bulky but you are paying about £40. They are certainly adequate for the UK in all but the worse conditions.

j.roberts7

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2005
i have used the 58 ptn for a while myself and found it great if used with the bivi bag ive never had any problems plus mine only cost me £15 for the long one in grade one good as new condition and for the price you can just chuck it after a couple of years if you knacker it and not worry about ruining a expensive bag :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE