Uco - seems obvious when you see it!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
One of the main problems with the Uco lantern - the full-sized one - is the cost of Uco candles. OK, they're not massively expensive, but considering how many tea-candles you can get for the same price, they do seem a bit on the pricey side, which is presumably why the mini and micro lanterns are so popular. Then I came across this video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZyeQomOTVM&feature=related

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I used to have one of the Coughlans tea light lanterns when I was a kid, I headed butted it by accident in the tent one night and got molten wax down the side of my face and ear, it wrecked a new Berghaus fleece too so my mum went mental.

Cheaper than UCOs but dangerous ..

Linky

The Coughlans lantern has big holes around the bottom allowing wax to escape, the UCOs don't have that problem.

That's a neat mod for the UCO though, I can't say I've ever come across tea lights that last for four hours though. Carol bought a huge bag of them from Ikea about 8 years ago so we're still burning those, we're lucky if they last an hour tops

Last edited:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I used to have one of the Coughlans tea light lanterns when I was a kid, ... Cheaper than UCOs but dangerous ... Linky

Like those :D ~ I'd not come across them before.

The Coughlans lantern has big holes around the bottom allowing wax to escape, the UCOs don't have that problem.

UCO Micro has holes round the base :dunno: ~ I've not put thought / experiment into why :eek: .

That's a neat mod for the UCO though,

Isn't it :D , I wonder what would happen if you put a round of silicon sheet between the inverted, empty, one and the user ;)

I can't say I've ever come across tea lights that last for four hours though.

Standard tea-lights do tend to last about that long in my UCO Micro ~ It could be something to do with being enclosed :dunno:.
I don't sleep too well and I use the UCO to gauge how far through the night I am ~ saves searching out my phone for the time (Also saves trying to make my eyes focus at silly o.clock :eek: )

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ikea tealights are miserable :sigh:
Buy Price's and better yet buy Price's ones meant to last up to seven hours for chaffing dishes........the old fashioned things that kept the coffee pot warm.
They really are cleaner, better quality, and they last for hours :)
Tealights over 4 hours, and the sentinel night lights for about seven.
Like these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PRICES-50...20517734778?pt=UK_Candles&hash=item4aa058817a

cheers,
M

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Cheaper than UCOs but dangerous ..

Linky

Is that why you gave it to me as a prize for your kinder egg competetion Rich? :rolleyes::rofl::rofl:

As for the tea light idea... I'll have to see if it can work in my Bushlight. Thinking about it I don't reckon it will though.

Having watched the video I watched this one... neat idea but boy are they expensive :yikes:

Last edited:

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
you can also fit an 8hr tealight which are 10 for £1 at poundland. If you trim the internal metal tube level with the base of the candle it works even better and you dont need the emty case as it sits nice. some of the 4hr tea lights are slightly too wide as well and have to forced in

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I hadn't seen them in £land....thank you for the heads up :cool:
The Prices ones do fit normal tealight fittings, though their votive ones are a bit bigger.

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE