Solar Kettle Group Buy.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
We have some interest on a Group Buy for a newish product being release in May.

Over on two other forum there is a little interest in getting a GB for these units of Solar Kettles for what is anticipated to be circa £30.00 per unit..

http://solar-kettle.com/

At the moment the price is not definite . I'm just letting you know , we have spoken to the seller and they have advised us it will be circa £30 retail.

So any interested parties please add a note of interest on this thread and I will get back in touch with you as and when.

[video=youtube;EU_09c-GX0U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU_09c-GX0U&feature=player_embedded[/video]

The solar kettle is the ultimate in microgeneration. It has very many advantages.

BOILING water at zero cost!
NO electricity required!
Can be used anywhere there is sunlight:
off-grid
camping
up a mountain
at HOME, every day!
Use for:
Tea, coffee, pot noodle
Cooking rice
Sterilising water
Sterilising medical equipment (e.g. in remote 3rd world locations)

Camping
The solar kettle gives you hot/boiling water on tap wherever there is sunshine. Whether camping in a tent, motor-home, caravanning or on manoeuvres with the army; the solar kettle means no more reliance on gas stoves and no more heavy and expensive gas canisters. No dangerous flames. Just an unlimited source of free energy!

Mountaineering
The solar kettle is light and compact. It weighs just 1.2 Kg. It can be used to melt snow to make tea, coffee, soup and hot food which can seriously revive a cold and tired mountaineer. Alpine conditions of clear sunshine give ideal operating conditions regardless of the air temperature.

Survival
The Solar Kettle can be used to sterilize water thus making unknown water sources safe to drink. Beverages such as tea, coffee, hot chocolate, soup can easily be made with the solar kettle. In extreme cold climates it can be used to melt snow and pasteurize it for drinking water. In sea survival situations the solar kettle can be used for desalination, to produce distilled fresh drinking water, from seawater.

Everyday use
In the United Kingdom tea drinking is a national institution, we down an amazing 1909 cups of tea every second, 6.8 million every hour, and 165 million cups every day, according to figures from the UK Tea Council. This unsurprisingly uses up a lot of energy, a kettle uses up to 3kW of electricity. A typical 2.2kw kettle takes 100 seconds to boil. This equates to about 1.68 million kWh in electricity consumption to boil the actual water used in cups of tea. But 67% of people boil more water than is actually required for their cup of tea. If on average twice the amount of water than is required is heated, this would mean that we are wasting around 1.68 million kWh a day making our. Adding in coffee drinkers this extends to 2.33 million kWh per day or 1056 tonnes of CO2 a day from electricity use, the equivalent to about 149 000 cars, or an annual 6.36kg of CO2 per capita. This is estimated to cost a cool £91m a year.

The solar kettle can, in good conditions, negate the need for a conventional kettle. In bad conditions it can still be used to pre-heat the water (e.g. to 55-60°C) thus saving significantly on the electricity required.

Posting here to see if any one is interested.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
[h=1]How does the Solar Kettle work?[/h]At the heart of the solar kettle is an evacuated vacuum tubes. This absorbs solar energy, converting it directly into heat which heats the water inside.

My vague recall of A level physics says this is false. The vacuum stops the heat dissipating from conduction, but allows heat radiation to heat up the liquid. The mirror is doing all the work. Vacuums don't absorb heat. They really ought to fix this as it makes it sound like a scam.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
My vague recall of A level physics says this is false. The vacuum stops the heat dissipating from conduction, but allows heat radiation to heat up the liquid. The mirror is doing all the work. Vacuums don't absorb heat. They really ought to fix this as it makes it sound like a scam.

You have my blessing to contact them and advise them.:)

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Mike is right, the vacuum is to stop heat dissipating back out and allow full transfer to the heat pipe and thus to the liquid being heated. It looks a nice idea though and as im a sucker for gadget kit i would be interested if this GB takes off.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I like a gadget but solar panels and chargers have never really worked for me over here, great for Texas but crap for Yorkshire/Scotland

I'm interested and I'll be doing some more research.

Last edited:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I like a gadget but solar panels and chargers have never really worked for over here, great for Texas but crap for Yorkshire/Scotland

I'm interested and I'll be doing some more research.

Hi Shewie , I understand what your saying but its obviously NOT a solar panel or charger so why would you think those experiences apply?
Its a wet tube system not PV.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hi Shewie , I understand what your saying but its obviously NOT a solar panel or charger so why would you think those experiences apply?
Its a wet tube system not PV.

It's the lack of actual sunlight as opposed to daylight/cloudy/grey/Britain that has me worried. Does it need a bright sunny sky to get the solar energy or can it work on a cloudy but bright kind of day.

I'm certainly not knocking it TD, I'm all for green energy and the more things like this that get developed the better for me. They state themselves that it'll give hot not boiling water on cloudy days, it's whether the ability to boil is important on a trip rather than the water being only hot.

I'd love to see one working in the flesh for sure

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Nice idea, but I've suddenly had this urge to go out and try with a Thermos flask and a shaving mirror or something... :)

Funny enough just done this with students this week. Cardboard and tin foil to make solar ovens and they all reached over 60 degrees, enough to sterilise water. First one reached this temp in 10 minutes.

Last edited:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Still running I think . I'm not the main organiser , just offered to put it on a couple of different forums.

I'll repost here once the main organizer returns.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE