Tyre and steel rims for building wooden wheels?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Does anyone know if they are available anywhere. The rims I am referring to are like a steel channel that you bend and weld shut into a circle, and the tyre is cut slightly over long and pushed tightly and compressed into the channel once the rim has been heat shrunk onto the wooden wheel. (Not the sort that have wire cable inside)

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
Mild steel U section channel is available in different sizes at most metal suppliers, you will have to heat, bend and weld it though and I'm sure you know bending U section steel is not easy, especially into a circular shape.
For tyres, unless you go to a carriage maker, you could try firms such as Technix or Wilks who supply rubber formed into different shapes including half round strip lengths. I've dealt with those two firms when seeking channel and strip rubber for a Rubbing Strake I was fitting on a steel boat I once owned.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
To make your own wheels - forget it!
Why?

They are never centered in the 3 dimensions.
You csn have a wherl made to your spec, or ( cheaper) buy a ready made wheel close to your specs.

I know because I hsve tried to make my own wheels for a car resto.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Thanks for your replies....since I posted yesterday I have seen a few web sites that sell the parts but a bit steep priced for my needs.

I found a video of a guy who used a standard bike tyre and inner tube on a wheel with wood hub spokes and felloes, seems more doable, even if 28 or 29 inch is still a bit small. I want a single but very strong wheel to build a Chinese style wheel barrow where the wheel comes up through the deck.
Why do I want to make my own wheel? For pretty much the same reason folks make their own knives, shoes, bows and arrows, flint tools, clothes, tools etc....because I like making stuff and wanted to have a go at building something a bit more challenging (and precisely accurate) than another wood spoon! Theres plenty of compound angled mortices and tennons in one of those barrows....

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
Chinese wheelbarrow means a monster wheel doesn't it? I was thinking a motorcycle wheel from the scrapyard, stripped of it's spokes might do, but even a cheap one, say the front wheel of a Chinese bike like a Sinnis would only give you a 17 inch wheel. Could you steam a length of Ash in a metal drain pipe and bend it round say a 45 gallon drum to make a rim from individual Felloes?
Easier said than done I know, and beyond me, but perhaps you might get away with just 3 if you can bend it successfully...

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Aha, that kind of wheel..

What about creating a semi solid wheel from marine ply?

Center = ballbearing of wanted dimension, set into plywood of the ssme thickness as the ball bearing, that has lightening holes cut out, this covered on both sides with thin plywood.
These outer plywood walls also make the retaining rim for the ’tyre’

The ’tyre’ you can make out of strips of inner tubing wound around the rim.
Or leather if you want to go back in time.

Easy to get all plywoods round, you just need a piece of wood that fits into the ball bearing, a non flex ( metal wire?) string and a pencil.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
For a wider rim/tyre you can cut strips of used car tyre, maybe 5cm x 5cm, screw to the rim.
I saw something similar back in Haiti.

And while you have those tyres at hand, make a pair of sandals!
Ultimate recycling and bushcrafting!

Just mske sure the tyres are not steel belted.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE