type of strop?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andrew_wales

Nov 2, 2015
Rhondda
Hello.
Im trying to get my convex knife, very sharp and would like to get a strop.
Could anyone tell me whether a hanging strop or paddle strop, would be best?
Thanks for any advice.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Paddle with at least 3mm leather. The thickness of the leather allows a bit of 'squidge' to follow the convex and allows you control over the part of the edge being polished. A hanging strop is less definite in its action and really best at what it's designed to do, put a very final finish to a razor.

Chunk of hardwood or MDF, contact adhesive, bit of leather, and a car polishing compound such as Autosol will see you sorted for not much cash.

Last edited:

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
I use a soft mouse mat, with the leather on top, or 1200 grit wet and dry,as this will follow the curvature of the grind as long as you don't press too hard, I have also used one of those soft kneel mats you can get from the pound shop, again its got the give needed to follow the grind. I then use one of these methods on a flat surface, ie. worktop, desk, I polish my blades whilst watching TV, nice and slow and nice and easy......................but there again i am a lazy s**

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I made my own paddle strop after trying stropping with a hanging strop.
I bought a wide leather belt, intended to hang worksns tools from.
As I did not like the hanging/floppy version, I glued it to a Red Cedar plank I had left over which I then shaped.

I feel I get the angle more correct when it has a hard backing.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Since there are several kinds, I suggest that you try them all and then decide what to keep.
All honing compounds are abrasives, the nominal particle sizes are 0.5micron and smaller.
The surface looks shiny when, in fact, it is so finely scratched that you cannot see that with the unaided eye.
Strops
1. Very stiff hard leather on wood. Traditional and effective.
2. Various sorts of mattings. Inexpensive.
3. Box card stuck to a flat surface with dabs of masking tape. Inexpensive.
4. Denim fabric glued to stiff Baltic Birch plywood. Recent addition to my list. A fiddle to build but effective.

Honing Compounds
Chromium Oxide (green color) runs about 0.5 micron nominal particle size. That's a weasle word for "average."
Oxides of iron (rust) and copper are vatious shades of yellows, browns and reds. Made with about 0.3 micrometer sizes
Oxides of Aluminum/Aluminium are snow white. Particle size is about 0.25 micrometer. Good on the denim strop.
Any other colors (eg purple) are fake = used as proprietary markers of composition.

Nice65 suggests Autosol. I've never used it but every report is positive. His just adds to the list.

Paint the bevel with black felt marker so you can evaluate the process.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Good info from R.V.

Using the hanging strop I had the feeling that even by gently pressing the angle was too large, that I rounded off the edge.
Also I have yet not used any compound, just the leather. That is what barbers of old did.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
The barbers of old were probably working on simple carbon steels. The newer alloy steels, even O1, do benefit from having abrasive on the strop since they themselves are more abrasion resistant than simple carbon steels.

I have an old barber strop that I cut down for bench use. It is old and like nothing I have seen anywhere else, 4" wide, about 28" long and just over 1/4" thick, and only slightly less stiff and hard than a length of hardboard. No give in the surface and stiff enough in itself that it could have stropped at a pretty shallow angle when hung. The flexible strops I seen now are as flexible as a leather belt and in order to keep the strop angle shallow very little pressure can be applied. Some say you don't need pressure to strop, maybe, but Longstrider who is known for his strops, and his sharpening, swears by high pressure and his skills took him to the Bladesport cutting championship at the Blade Show a few years ago. Hard to argue with the performance of his edges.

For my sharpening a paddle strop is hands down better for what we do.

My paddle strops tend to have pretty thin leather, maybe 2mm, just enough for a little give and something to hold honing compound. They won't polish a large bevel in one pass at one angle, that is the effect of the thin leather, it results in a smaller contact area, but I think it gives me more control over the stropping angle, not just the angle that the blade is held at, but the angle taken by the strop material as it springs back as the blade passes over it. Very soft material springs back at a steeper angle for the same applied force. For convex edges the difference is minor and probably not worth worrying about, go with thicker and/or softer leather. For stropping a flat grind, like a scandi, or a chisel, I want as little rounding effect as possible.

Dan J

Tenderfoot
Feb 21, 2012
Ludlow
If you just want to sharpen a convex ground blade then having thicker leather and extra flex is probably the easiest way to go about it.

If you intend to sharpen other things: scandi grinds, chisels plane blades then a thinner leather on a paddle with some honing compound will enable a more consistent, if slower, method.

Either way you should be able to get the edge you're looking for.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Longstrider who is known for his strops, and his sharpening, swears by high pressure and his skills took him to the Bladesport cutting championship at the Blade Show a few years ago. Hard to argue with the performance of his edges.

For my sharpening a paddle strop is hands down better for what we do.

Spot on with the different leather thickness Chris. 1-2mm for bevels = less squish.

Here is what the man Longstrider can do with a Buck 110 and a good strop.

[video=youtube_share;Zk3EB5VRUQQ]https://youtu.be/Zk3EB5VRUQQ[/video]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE