Two New Ray Mears Series

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
It's showing for me!

Or, of course, one could decide that for the price of two pints of beer a month, it's worth paying a bit towards a program that may be worth watching? ;)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I’ll re check. To be honest, there are some great British history documentaries on there. I‘ve watched five already today and there are hundreds. And if they keep on adding product like that, I’ll keep up my sub. Better than Disney :biggrin:

Reactions: CLEM

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Aaaah, too much to reply to. But Broch……. Gimme a more amateur filmed RM with this content all day long and I’ll be happy. Best thing he’s done in ages. And I doubt they’d allow that footage on BBC or ITV. Much too graphic.

Poppy. Stay in your lane :buttkick:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Aaaah, too much to reply to. But Broch……. Gimme a more amateur filmed RM with this content all day long and I’ll be happy. Best thing he’s done in ages. And I doubt they’d allow that footage on BBC or ITV. Much too graphic.

Agreed, I wasn't being critical, it had a 'refreshing simplicity' I felt.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Didn’t think you were. But it was obvious. Especially when he was talking about knapping and they didn’t focus on what his hands were doing. Small niggle though. Haven’t seen RM do this sort of stuff since Wild Food.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
The man is a legend, I can t forget the time he showed two African warriors how to make fire, the fact they had survived for 2000 years without fire wasn't explained, regarding his new series, I am sure they will be very interesting, I am looking forward to reading the new book, in fact I am going to start saving up to buy it when it comes out.
I have seen him show Hawaiians how to do their traditional method when they did not know it.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Was that the fire plough? I know he did that once, not sure whether it was New Zealand or Hawaii though. He’s certainly shown indigenous people their traditional methods a few times after it had long since been forgotten in the community.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
OK, I know what you're all saying and I'd like to think it's true, but - it's all for television in the end! You could go into any city in the UK and teach people how to light a traditional coal fire. The fact that one small group didn't know how to do something doesn't mean it was lost to the community, the tribe, or the ethnic group in general - there's always a third truth!!!

Reactions: Mr Wolf and Fadcode

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Is this supposed to be a weekly release. Because I haven’t got the second one yet. Thought it was suppose to be a four part series released every Friday :dunno:

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I really enjoyed some of the more historical series he did in North America, mainly because he was clearly talking about something that he was genuinely deeply interested in and had been for a long time.

Reactions: FerlasDave

PoppyD

Jul 18, 2021
Stourton
Why do TV stations have to mess with Uncle Rays programming goodness. Leave Uncle Ray alone and show his shows on time.

Last edited:
Reactions: JonathanD
Ray Mears is at least bringing important (often purposely overlooked) aspects of history, and historical characters to the attention of the public. Even if you don't like his presenting style... you have to respect what he has managed to do.
Without Ray, I would never have known about Amundsen, Lettow-Vorbeck, the heroes of Telemark, Rogers rangers, the northwest passage adventurers...
Also, the 'hands on' insight he has given us into indigenous cultures and hunter gatherer societies.
He took stuffy old museum artifacts and dusty library books, and bought these things back into the real world, by encouraging people to 'go out' and try to acquire the skills for themselves.
Tasting birch sap, smelling clean wood smoke, using a knife/axe, butchering meat...
you have to admit it beats just watching David Attenborough on the sofa! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE