Two New Ray Mears Series

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Again, I enjoyed it. I like it when he shows his skills. But it’s things we have seen him do before and in more detail. I even have a set of arrowheads he made whilst filming Aboriginal Britain in his Bushcraft series. E8C98562-995A-43A9-995A-F44046ADB923.jpeg2A64EEFE-FD80-41D7-9F00-5D01B98007B0.jpeg

The intro lasts far too long, taking up almost 5 minutes of the 25 minute show. And I would have liked to have seen him showing more examples of the tools used. Ray just talking to the camera explaining these things just isn’t the same. And the camera people lack the production values we are used to. Panning up to the top of his head and just showing his hair whilst making the arrowheads is just odd. It’s like the cameraman got bored and drifted up to find out if he had any bald spots.

I'm not knocking it. It’s still one of the most enjoyable things I’ve seen on TV in some months. And it’s far more enjoyable watching him demonstrate his own subject, rather than be a narrator to wildlife documentaries which are far too numerous on TV, to stand out on their own.

But here is the crux. Ray said he wasn’t going to do anymore bushcraft stuff because he’d done it all on TV, at least what would be consumed by the masses. And all the content was out there already to rewatch if we wanted to. And here he is making another arrow making programme which he has covered before. C’mon Ray. Give us what we want. U.K. bushcraft skills and you demonstrating them. In the meantime. This will do.

Last edited:
Reactions: CLEM

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Agreed Jonathan, a bit light but a worthwhile watch. BUT, the bow developed in the British Mesolithic? Come on, he should surely have made it clear that the bow was developed 10s of thousands of years earlier but didn't arrive in Britain until the Mesolithic!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Agreed Jonathan, a bit light but a worthwhile watch. BUT, the bow developed in the British Mesolithic? Come on, he should surely have made it clear that the bow was developed 10s of thousands of years earlier but didn't arrive in Britain until the Mesolithic!
Indeed. Bit of a faux pas. I did do a double taking pigeon impression when I heard that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE