two moors way anyone

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

benmatthews90

Oct 31, 2005
devon
i'm doing the two moors way (exmoor --> dartmoor) soon
i'm 15 and this is my first properly long walk. i've done 10 tors an that lot. i was just wonderin if anyone had done it them selves and had any advice to give to a fellow traveller i.e. good places to stay/see
also if anyone my sort of age is up for it then you can do it with me
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

May 25, 2006
Dartmoor
I did it last year with an old school mate and his mum, great walk. We mixed wild camping with staying at friends homes along the way. The route is very well sign posted for the most part, so navigation is pretty minimal. Some high points for me would include...

* Hameldown into Grimspound.
* Strolling beside the various rivers, particularly around Chagford.
* Teign valley and Castle Drogo, splendid river valley.
* The descent to the sea from Exmoor.

If I could offer one bit of advice it would be to do the route in reverse to what you propose. In my opinion it is so much better to finish with a spectacular climb down to the ocean for your pasty and Champagne, rather than ending in Ivybridge car park.

Anyway, good luck and hope you enjoy it. If I get a minute I will try and dig out some pictures.

Regards

David

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
I'm planning to do this walk at the end of September, into the first week of October.

Anyone done it at that time of the year? Any clues as to what the typical weather's likely to be on the moors at the end of September time?

I plan to walk it solo................any helpful hints and tips?

Yeoman

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
You may already have them, but I have the latest 1:25 000 Exmoor OS Explorer map and an older 1:25 000 Dartmoor OS Outdoor Leisure map that you are welcome to borrow. Just PM me if you need them.

The two moors way looks a cracking walk - and I say this from a Scottish viewpoint, where we are blessed with a lot of wild country.

I have only walked a few small Dartmoor sections, and more recently, a few miles around Simonsbath on Exmoor. The path was distinct with good waymarking. Quite a few other walkers but this is an accessible section. Interesting country - walking past the old Wheal Eliza copper mine I found chalcopyrite (copper ore) on the spoil heaps, and saw lots of butterflies, wee trout (I think) in the river Barle, buzzards, kestrels, Exmoor ponies....you get the picture.

Go for it.

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
This is a lovely walk but it's some time since I walked it.

One tip, make sure you are confident with map and compass work. The mist down there can be a bit thick. I still remember following a compass bearing through the mist and getting to exactly the right spot I was aiming for. Not quite the buzz of fire by friction but good enough.

Have a good trip.

benmatthews90

Oct 31, 2005
devon
nice one
yeah i am good with a map and compass and my dad is teaching me to navigate by the stars (ex navy so he knows what he on about) so shouldn't be any problems there

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
On the proficiency of map and compass subject, there's no white rocks on Dartmoor only sheep! Know a few friends in training couldn't understand why the bearing was drawing right. Good luck I don't get out on Dartmoor enough but planning on doing more this month. A good book if you can find it is "Dartmoor 365" by John Hayward. He has something notable for each of the 365 miles of Dartmoor's national park. Make sure you have a good way of purifying your water, the water in the streams/rivers is heavily polluted with poo from assorted species, I do not recommend that you risk it(apologies for the nanny state overtones). Good luck enjoy it.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
If I had any advice it would be - Don't be frightened to pitch up if the weather comes down. It dosn't matter if you havn't reached your days objective. If the fog comes down or torrential rain then stay comfortable, dry, warm and safe. Many accidents happen from people pushing on to their days goal irrespective of conditions and the more lost and disorientated you become the more likely you are to panic and make mistakes thereby increasing you anxiousness and putting you in danger. I'm not being alarmist but people have died even in the summer on the hills. If you're prepared you'll be just fine. Even a good navigator can make mistakes especially on Dartmoor which isn't always the easiest place to navigate on. Don't take it lightly. Remeber too features can change especially man-made features - Plantations especially spring to mind and are often cut down making you doubt your position if you're using them as a navigation aid. This isn't usually such a problem on Dartmoor as it can be in other parts of the countryside. Anyway have a good time and above all stay safe :beerchug:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE