Two Hazel Spoons

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Hello, everyone. I'd like to share with you my first two spoons.

FtBgEpL.jpg

Learning how to select the wood, how said wood reacts to certain cuts, how to apply oil, etc, has given me an even greater respect for the talented craftsmen and women on this forum.

Spoon 1, (right) (technically spoon attempt 2)
Pros: Not many pros to this spoon, but it was the first time I used my spoon knife and it was fun carving it as I knew what I was doing the second time around. The outcome of this spoon was worse than spoon 2, but that's not because I didn't use a tutorial this time, I just made some cuts at the wrong angle.

Cons: Wobbly handle, thick lip on the bowl, twisted form

Spoon 2, (left) (technically spoon attempt 1)
Pros: Sleeker design, thinner lip, and an improvement overall, despite actually being the first spoon I made. I guess I was just more careful with this one.

Cons: Removed too much material from the bowl so there's a very thin layer of wood in one section resulting in an almost see through bowl! You can't really see it in this photo.

Some of you may have read my little diary thread covering the production of these spoons, but I just felt like making a final thread on these as they are done now. If you'd like to see profile shots of the spoons from the side you can look at my spoon progress thread. I must say they look a lot better from a front view than the side, especially spoon 1. :lmao:

Thanks for all the advice and thanks for viewing.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
We now have THOaken's Indian name "Two Spoons"!;)

They're looking good now they're done. You must be chuffed with yourself? One for porridge another for soup!

So more spoons now, you seemed to catch the bug during the making of them.

ATB,
GB.

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
Well done, if you ever lose that first spoon, you will be devastated. It will eventually hold a sentimental value that will be hard to explain.
So what's your next project?

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
...Cons: Removed too much material from the bowl so there's a very thin layer of wood in one section resulting in an almost see through bowl! You can't really see it in this photo.....[/QUOTE

Most people would class that as a pro, see through is what I aspire to :)

Cracking looking spoons mate, you should be well pleased.

Top work Two Spoons! ;)

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Thanks, everyone.

I was going to ask in a separate thread, but someone has already asked. I want to start on another project, something that is still fairly basic and is aimed at beginners. What would BCUK recommend? Perhaps another utensil, a project that capitalises on what I've already learned? Don't want to make the jump on something too advanced yet, so keep that in mind. I'm assuming many of you started wood carving with spoons, so what did you create next?
:)

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
...What would BCUK recommend? Perhaps another utensil, a project that capitalises on what I've already learned? Don't want to make the jump on something too advanced yet, so keep that in mind. I'm assuming many of you started wood carving with spoons, so what did you create next?
:)

Traps, they teach you loads about basic woodworking, especially precision and detail.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
A kuksa, mine turned out awful but it was still fun :).

Or maybe a spatula, or a fishing priest, I enjoy carving priests, even if there're not great :).

Edit: just carve something and don't over think it, just do it for pleasure.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Oh dear I'm sorry, have I consigned you to being known as THOaken Two Spoons for ever more, sorry.
Not a bad name, really. I'm sure any Bushcrafter wouldn't mind being referred to as "Two Spoons" after the work they put into their first ever woodcraft projects. So not a bad name by any means... Surprised how quick people were to pick up on it! You should be proud. :lmao:

In all seriousness... Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Not a bad name, really. I'm sure any Bushcrafter wouldn't mind being referred to as "Two Spoons" after the work they put into their first ever woodcraft projects. So not a bad name by any means... Surprised how quick people were to pick up on it! :lmao:

In all seriousness... Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I can see you in years to come, sitting in your Tipi with a smudge fire going, surrounded by shavings and spoons. As young bushcrafters come to have wisdom doled out by THOaken Two Spoons!...:lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE