Two Firsts in one Kuksa

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
On Boxing Day I had a chance to escape the mum-in-law by hiding out in the garage and playing with a lump of Birch that I got from a wind felled tree on my friends property last winter. Armed with a warm jumper, a case of beer and a few tools I set to work.

Using the axe I inherited from Suzy’s Dad soon saw the woolly pully discarded, the garage though cold was pretty well draught free. I opened a beer and got on with forming the bowl, hard work in the dried out timber, an hour later I remembered the beer,,,. carving stuff can be pretty all engrossing. As usual I let the wood dictate the final shape and form it takes, the fishlike tail is due to some checks in the wood. At dark o’clock I packed up for the day with it almost ready to sand.

For the first time in years I had a blister on my palm from using tools, I just can’t get on with wearing gloves for this kind of work, so I let it heal over the next couple of days and finished it off on Monday. Well, I thought I had, but something was nagging me (not M-I-L this time).
It needed, no, it deserved a bit more. Being back home with consistent internet access allowed me to search for ideas which led me to Waylands page so thank you sir for the advice.

So yesterday I had a go at my first bit of kolrosing, using cinnamon powder as the colouring medium and walnut oil for the finish today (had to go out and get some). I used a matchstick as a guide for the widths of the lines and help keep them consistent and parallel.
It feels great in my hand and holds appr. 200ml, measured with rice, which would be a fair slug of spirits or good sized Greek coffee.
For a first one I am happy, would have liked it to be less oblong but had to go with what I had.

DSC01254.JPG

DSC01255.JPG

DSC01261.JPG

Thanks for looking in.

Rob.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I like that, lovely shape (oval included) and beautifully executed. I think as a reward you should be filling it (and emptying it) a fair bit tonight to see in the New Year. Really nice job.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Thank you kind sirs for your nice comments, I have a nice bottle of Cognac to christen it with and Rabid...I have had a couple to catch up on what I missed out while carving :lmao:
Stevie777 bless you but I don't think it is of saleable quality ;)

Rob

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Well, have a couple of slurps and I hope your outlook will change.

It is saleable quality: clearly not something buzzed out with a CNC router while you had lunch.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE