Twine tinder

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nevetsjc80

Forager
Sep 14, 2004
buckinghamshire
I am a new member to BushcraftUK, but have been practising bushcraft for many years. So this tip may have already been put forward or just common knowledge but i ll say it anyway.

I carry a roll of plain garden twine in my kit, it is good for tying jobs that you wish to hold temporarily and maybe cut off later and is cheaper than wasting your paracord.
But also i use it is as tinder and this is how.

* First wrap a length of twine around three finger about eight times.

* Then slid the twine off your finger and wrap around the middle of the hoop of twine tight about eight times or so to form a "bowtie" shape or Tinder Faggot.

*Cut through one end of the loops to form sixteen ends of twine, buff the ends and pull some ends apart to make them frizzy and there you go. A tinder bundle ready to take a spark.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi and welcome to BCUK! :wave:

No doubt that the method works, but it sounds a little complicated? I mean, there's methods that are far more complicated, but a peice of charcloth is so simple, IMO. :wink: :biggthump

Cheers, keep posting :pack:

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Excellent tip! :biggthump

Thanks for posting and warm welcome to BCUK! :wave:

nevetsjc80

Forager
Sep 14, 2004
buckinghamshire
TheViking said:
Hi and welcome to BCUK! :wave:

No doubt that the method works, but it sounds a little complicated? I mean, there's methods that are far more complicated, but a peice of charcloth is so simple, IMO. :wink: :biggthump

Cheers, keep posting :pack:
True good point charcloth is very good. I just thought that the twine does nt have to be prepared off site or needs no tin to make on site, and only takes about thirty seconds to make just before to need your fire. Plus a hundred metre roll of twine has many uses. However charcloth is fun to make and more traditional so thats cool too. It was just an idea i use:)
Steve

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
nevetsjc80 said:
True good point charcloth is very good. I just thought that the twine does nt have to be prepared off site or needs no tin to make on site, and only takes about thirty seconds to make just before to need your fire. Plus a hundred metre roll of twine has many uses. However charcloth is fun to make and more traditional so thats cool too. It was just an idea i use:)
Steve
Great. :biggthump If it only takes 30 seconds then no problem. I'll have a go one day with your method! :D Great tip, thanks! :wink:

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Neat idea, thanks and welcome.

Your tip adds another alternative into the armoury of firelighting skills. Efficient stuff twine, that's another use for it alongside trapping (abroad), helping keep a debris shelter together, and other cooking and campcraft uses

Cheers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE