tv. Alone in the wild

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Hi, has anyone seen this programe? It's on Nat Geo. It's about a man from scotland who went to Canada and wanted to stay in wilderness for 3 months relying on his skills. Looked very promising, as he started making shelter, cathing fish, hunting porcupines (?). But then it all ended up in tears and only 3 epizodes were made as poor guy started seriuosly starving and almost went mad. He stugled for 50 days and then gave up....

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
yeha, I saw that when it was on channel four, it's a great show, just a shame he didn't last the whole six months. It's a mazing how much weight he lost though...

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
He wasn't allowed to shoot IIRC.

He seemed to struggle with the solitude as much as anything else. I would too.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I think we had a chat about this over on britishblades.

- as said, you essentially watch the poor guy have a bit of a break down.

I just think he went in with totally the wrong attitude as opposed to being incapable.

Andy

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
He wasn't allowed to shoot IIRC.

He seemed to struggle with the solitude as much as anything else. I would too.

Yeah he could chap, remember he took that squirrle thing out up a tree with his .22

I think he hadn't planned,studied enough to really understand what he was getting into, it's almost a show of how not to execute an expedition.

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
He had the wrong equipment.

Everybody with basic education knows that you won't survive without a big volleyball.

Last edited:

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
It's on wednesday, 9,00 pm, on Dicovery I think.

Southey, couldn't agree more. He looked too exited about everything and didn't took thing seriuosly enough. Like fishing... He spend there loads and loads of time with his rod never even trying just to set up a simple like with loads of hooks and leave it for the night. Lot's of mistakes.. He knew about hanging food in the trees, but he allways hung it on the same tree he slept under and then was allways afraid of bears.. Man, this kind of things can end up in a box six feet under.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
There are a few threads on it here. He did quite well considering, he was not allowed to hunt wild game as locum says and he had plenty of prep and training, although you cannot prepare for something that you have no conception of. I don't know why people think he had the wrong equipment, he was well provided for in terms of kit. People go out with alot less. What he lacked was the positive mental attitude, which eventually brought him down, along with admission that although he had a romantic view of doing this successfully, he lacked the mental capacity to do it. Possibly a true statement of many of us here, as we would all like to do it, but it's a dream and experience which many of us would fail.

Great programme though.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
he had all the kit he could have needed - and he was allowed to shoot. - he took squirrel and even porcupine. - he wasn't allowed to shoot big game!

as said - he went in with the wrong mental attitude. - at the start he was seeing loads of squirrels but couldn't bring himself to shoot them because they were "cute"

Andy

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
There was a long thread about it on here at the time.

Guy Grieve wrote a book about his year and it kept me interested throughout a recent Scottish trip. Pllenty of time was spent chilling into the night reading the book. He went out there with a lot of research and a lot of help from people who live and work out in the wilds. A good example of someone doing his research, consuling experts and really not being afraid to ask for help. I do believe if you are not from a wilderness area then you do need help when out there. You can't just expect that a few books and courses in another part of the world will get you through all the time. Plus the kit list at the back of the book made for a good read too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE