turn your knife into a plane

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Yeah I totally agree,it does make it easyier to re-produce it,if you can see it being done,rather than trying to figure it out from a picture,as in the book.I will be trying it out.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Would using de-pithed Elder make it easier and quicker to make the arrow guiding bit?

I've found a nice sized piece of Elder,And will make one tomorrow,will let you know how I get on.

Sounds good to me. let us know how you get on. I guess you will need a bit with a decent pith, the same diameter you want the arrow shaft. Elder is a light but very tough wood, under rated because it grows fast and rots if wet but it really is very strong for its weight.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Can I be think for a sec?
What is a 'spill plane'?
Think of a rebate plane (pronounced rabbit plane) for making mouldings on wood, a spill plane is for making spills (thin shavings or wood that twist into a long hollow tube) for lighting candles, fires and the like.
spill plane

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
A spill plane is a plane used to make spills!! Obvious:D

You beat me to it Tadpole!:rolleyes:

Here is a spill:
spill07.jpg

Here is a spill plane:

spill01.jpg

And the link where to get more on the things:

The tool shed

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Well I just made this one out of a peice of Elder,tobe honest it should have been made from a Larger diameter piece,but this was the biggest I could find.
one point I wanted to share,is the Angle of the slop where the Blade sits,you can play around taking slithers off it,intil you have the Blade at the Angle you want,I have put 2 different Angles on this one,A shallow one and a Deeper Angle to take off more stock.
256002.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE